Re: [Chrysler300] Ethanol and fuel pumps - reply

Re: [Chrysler300] Ethanol and fuel pumps - reply

Everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their 300. Actually one in every
car they drive would even be better.

Years ago, in my first G, my engine caught fire as I was about to go
somewhere. I did not have a fire extinguisher in the car but luckily I was
right at the house. A quick dash into the house and I was right back to put
it out. I always had/have one in the kitchen and this was before I had my
garages where I also have them.

This was before ethanol, 1977 to early 1980ish, and it to was fuel pump
failure. After I replaced some of the distributor wires I started it up and
found out that the fuel pump was spraying fuel and the fan picked up and
dispersed the fine mist on top of the engine. Could some of the spark plug
wires also have been bad and arcing just enough to ignite the fuel? I don't
know, but that is a possibility. The bottom line is that fuel pump was
spraying the fuel and that was what started the whole chain of events.

So please carry a fire extinguisher at all times. You just never know.

Happy 300ing

Charlie Valentine