[Chrysler300] I'm Positive It's Positive, Now-Thanks

[Chrysler300] I'm Positive It's Positive, Now-Thanks

Thanks to all the 300 fire-by-wire experts that responded to my recent
query.  Some were surprised at the positive ground claim, but that is
what the 1955's and earlier were.  Even the 12-volt Crown Imperials were
positive ground in 1955.  I recall old time differences of opinions by
Chrysler, Ford and GM on which polarity produced the best spark and
least erosion of spark plug tips.  In the 50's we had to be on our toes
as different family lines of cars had different ground conventions and
an error in jumper or charger cables would produce some pretty exciting
sparks and the smell of burning rubber.

Input from members indicates the reversed battery phenomenon has been
seen before as current mechanics get used to everything being negative
ground.

Here are the results:

I removed and reversed my 6-volt battery so that the ground cable is
connected to the +positive terminal.
Jumpered the Field to Battery lugs at the voltage regulator for three
seconds to polarize the generator  (did not get any noticeable spark
here as I expected and remembered).
Then tried to start the car and no spark.  Called a great friend and
long-time mechanic Ralph Trent in our seniors community for
consultation.  He arrived five minutes later., responding like a fire
horse to the bell.

Removal of the distributor cap indicated a broken rotor, so called local
NAPA and they had SIX in stock!.  Can't relate the rotor failure to the
polarity reversal and wonder how it was even working before.  May have
busted it getting the stuck cap off.  They had a rotor and I asked for
points condenser & cap, also.
My store only had the rotor and condenser-ordered out the rest.
Wondering if I have the proper cap as clips do not snap into place,
being too long.  Difficult to impossible to feel the cap notch into
place on the distributor.

Put the rotor on.  No fire.

Reversed the leads on the coil connecting the hot wire from the ignition
to the - negative terminal and the small wire from the distributor to
the + positive terminal.

Ralph returned home for ignition wrenches and specialty screwdriver to
hold the stinking little condenser clamp screw.  He replaced the
condenser and it fired right up.  Putting out 6.98 volts and full over
to the + on the ammeter.  Hope I have not upset the voltage regulator.
I guess its time for me to buy a nice little set of ignition wrenches
after all these years.  Wrench wouldn't work on the stinking little
screw holding the condenser lead.  Took it off and on with needle nose
pliers, as the last ten mechanics obviously did.

I can't explain it, but feel the reversal of polarity damaged or shorted
the condenser.  No explanation for the broken rotor other than
ham-handed mechanicing on my part.

Did not get the radio or gas gage going, but I feel there may be other
problems there.  At least we got it running for a show in French Camp,
CA tomorrow.

Thanks to my good friend and great mechanic, Ralph, and to NAPA for
having some of the parts in stock on Saturday afternoon.

Onward and upward and MoPa'r to ya from

Rich Barber
Brentwood 94513
C-300