RE: [Chrysler300] Split lock valve spring keeper tool?

RE: [Chrysler300] Split lock valve spring keeper tool?

Nope! Fingers it is. The key to making this assembly job doable is to use a
valve spring compressor that squeezes the spring/retainer down far enough.
The top of the retainer should be about even with the lowest keeper groove
in the valve stem. Hold the split keys on the stem with the beads engaged in
the stem. SLOWLY release the compressor and the retainer will push you
fingers off the split keys and trap the split keys in the retainer at the
same time. It takes a little practice, you'll get the hang of it on about
the 15th or 16th valve.

Good Luck,
Larry Johnson

PS It also really helps if there are two people, one to work the spring
compressor and another to manipulate the keys.

>From: "Vath, Michael J." <MJVATH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Split lock valve spring keeper tool?
>Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:05:46 -0500
>
>Happy Tuesday.
>Doing my first valve oil seal replacement and wondered if there's a special
>tool for handling those pesky little spring keeper lock thingies?
>
>A magnet does fine for removing them, but replacing/setting them is a pain
>using a needle nose. Is there a specialty tool out there (other than
>fingers)?
>
>Many thanks! mv

Give the gift of life to a sick child.