Re: [Chrysler300] Fram filters

> Tell me, how does one determine a brand of filter is bad?   If the proof
is
> in lack of engine trouble, then my use of primarily Fram filters for 20-30
> years and well over 100,000 miles on the 300H alone with no failures
whatsoever
> must indicate they are not too awful!!
> 300ly, Gil Cunningham
> Tallahassee, FL

The demonstration is to cut the PH8A Fram filter open and compare what is
inside with the insides of a 51515 Wix or 1515 NAPA. There is a big
difference in the quality of the construction.

We monitor and contribute on an international network of auto and truck
technicians and, excepting for air filter filtration performance, their
investigations and conclusions are based mostly on details of the
construction of various filter brands. The Fram filter line always gets
thrown out first for crumby quality and then NAPA gets a so-so favoring. by
the HD guys that favor the Baldwin air filter especially (as do most all HD
OE's and Ford now, finally for it's Powerstroke diesel).

FYI only, Baldwin air filtration is what you will find in a lot (most?) over
the road HD trucks. Baldwin makes the retrofit kit for the Ford Powerstrokes
that replaces the OE bad design.

I switched from Fram to Wix some twenty plus years ago when I saw what was
inside a Fram PH8A. And, I have had multiple instances of air intake
restriction problems with  new Fram air filters with vehicles on  my chassis
dyno. OE air filters fixed the problems (big block Fords, Chryslers and big
block GM applications).

I have cleared sertious intake restriction problems with a simple
maintainance cleaning of clean looking K&N filters. The K&N is a very nice
piece of work but it must be maintained. And, I have yet to have one K&N
vehicle come into my shop without seeing dirt in the intake system
downstream of the air filter. Not good.

We stock Wix filters in our shop for most applications. We stock ACDelco
filters for GM applications,  Motorcraft foir Ford applications, FleetGuard
for Dodge diesels and I use them on my 383 Dodge. Big diesels in our shop
benerally get a big pile of new Wix filters except Caterpillars which get
Cat oil and filters.

I do not have any laboratory performance evaluations that show Fram filters
to be deficient. I have personally accumulated a lot of miles on vehicles
with Fram filters (and Perolator filters) with no problems. However, I do
think that there is a (much) higher quality product available for a still
reasonable sum of money and that is what I elect to use.

I also see a greater benefit to changing engine oil on a regular, frequent
basis than to switch to an extended, long oil change interval synthetic
engine oil program (only where the engine does not come OE sped'd to use
full synthetic).  We have had very good service from synthetic lube in rear
axles. Synthetic lube is recommended as  a retorfit for many rear axles by
the OE's. There can be lube/seal compatibility issues with synthetic gear
oils.

I tried to buy a lube filter from Chrysler for my 383. The short filter for
the small blocks was still available with the Chrysler logo but not the log
one. Is there a current Chrysler part number that is available for the long
filter that I would rather see on my 383?

So, Mr. Cunningham, I do think you are right as Fram (oil filters anyway)
has never let me down either. I do think that there is a better product
available and I will continue to use a product that I consider to be of
superior quailty.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

'Thanks & Giving.'