Re: [Chrysler300] A/C Question

> I'm reluctant to try the A/C, as there is a (good?) chance there is no
> Freon left in the system, and running it could be harmful to the pump.
>
> A local fellow has 2 lbs. of R12, but estimates it would take about
> 3.5 lbs. to charge the system if it indeed is empty. So I have two
> questions:
>
> 1) -- is the original system convertible to R-134? Are conversion kits
> for this pump/system available? Are there other options for converting
> the system to R-134?
>
> 2) -- are there source(s) for a few of pounds of R12?
>
> Any help on this would be most appreciated....
>
> Mike in "air-conditioning-needed" Lake Odessa, Michigan

Mobile A/C professionals like myself stay away from converting R12 systems
to R134A. There are MANY compelling reasons why not to change over that I do
not have the time to get in to. But, briefly, your R12 system was designed
to operate properly on R12 and anything else will provide way less than
satisfactory performance. There are mechanical issues also.

Also, be aware that R134A is very expensive right now, was hard to find
recently and will be obsolete and therefore even more expensive in the very
near future.

R12 is readily available to professional installers. I would suggest you
find a competent A/C guy and have him take a look at your system.  I am sure
your system has a multitude of leaks and ANY of the great number of A/C stop
leak products on the market will DESTROY your system.

Best suggestion would be to fix any major leaks and then evacuate and
recharge (check compressor oil level) and then add A/C annual topoff to list
of expenses connected with ownership of your fine car.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links