Re: [Chrysler300] A/C Question - reply

> Hi Mike,
>
> You state you are reluctant to try the a/c as there is a "good chance"
there
> is no freon left in it.  I guess that means you really don't know... and
you
> will need to find out.
>
> The  procedure I believe you should follow is to take the car to a
reputable
> a/c shop; they will "vacuum out" the system, and at the same time recover
> whatever Freon R12 is still in the system. They will be able to determine
> exactly how much Freon was left. They will then let the system sit, under
> vacuum, for a period of time, and observe whether the vacuum is retained.
> If the system holds the vacuum, then it can be recharged, as it means
there
> are no leaks;
>
> As far as what to recharge the system with, there are many alternatives
> including R134  ;  I have had excellent results with
> http://www.autofrost.com/
> and there are others such as Hot Shot R-414B,
> http://autocool-refrigerants.com/ and http://store.lenzdist.com/
>
> There is a very comprehensive chart of the various substitutes, and their
> properties at:  http://www.heco.net/TheTruth.htm
>
> You can also do some comparison pricing of the substitutes at :
> http://www.koolit.net/
>
> Finally, all a/c systems need to have a specific quantity of refrigerant
oil
> present. With no oil in the system, the compressor will seize over time.
>
> John Hertog

Refrigerant substitutes can be dangerous. Most will reference their listing
on EPA SNAP. This is all fine and dandy but check out MACS site BEFORE you
install any goop in your A/C system and pay attention to the good
information that is there.

There are some atlternative refrigerants on the market with grossly
exaggerated performance claims. Competent professional mobile A/C guys will
not even touch a system that has any blend in it and will spend thousands of
dollars for detection equipment just to keep the stuff from getting  to and
destroying very expensive shop equipment.

Refrigerants we use today are R12 and R134A. R12 is out of production and
R134A will soon be. European and Asian cars for non export production have
switched to a different refrigerant. We will soon.

There are some crazy MIXTURES in alternative refrigerants. Some mixes are
explosive and none work as well in an R12 system as does R12 And R12 is
still readily available to professional installers.

MACS site is readily accessed and full of good information. Suggest check it
out.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links