RE: [Chrysler300] Replacement Battery

Thanks to all for contributing to this design/equipment detail.

But, I'd like to take this opportunity to again ask if anyone feels they
really know for sure what brand or brands of 6-Volt, positive ground
orientation batteries originally came in 1955 Chrysler 300's.

Antique Auto Battery's online catalog indicates they produce the same
6-Volt, Group 2 battery with either a Willard or a MoPar label, apparently
molded in.  Is either one or both a reproduction of the Original Equipment
battery?  Apparently there is no reproduction Auto-Lite battery with the
hyphen.  What about the issue of molded in vs. stick on labels for the '55
batteries?  If stick-on labels are correct, are they available for the
6-Volt battery?

Regarding the threat of acid boiloff and spatter from normally and
abnormally charged batteries, I recall my boats had molded plastic covers
that fit over and around their batteries, presumably to reduce the
probability of shorting out if a wrench were dropped onto the battery, to
divert evolved hydrogen and acid mist downward and even to divert fresh or
salt water away from the battery in case of rain or leaks in the cooling
system.  Installing one of these covers might be a good idea when driving
between concours judged events.  I think they were held in place with webbed
straps and could be removed easily and quickly.

I also recall the acrid smell emanating from batteries receiving fast
charges.  Bubbling evolved gases carried acid fog into the air all around
the batteries at the old Phillips 66 station in Des Moines.  When the
ammeter in the dash indicated the electrical system was overcharging the
battery, a common temporary fix was to turn on the headlights, heater fan
and any other electrical load possible to reduce cooking of the battery.
Probably still a proper action.  Bashing the voltage regulator would also
sometimes unstick the points.  Not very high-tech or effective.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300 (6-Volts-deemed to be inadequate by Chrysler, Ford and their
customers, one year after The General switched--Imperials switched first)