Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Replacement Battery- caution

Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Replacement Battery- caution

> Hello 300'ly to all!
>     I echo Wayne Greafen regarding the optima batteries.  Add Mike Galassi
> to the list of battery over runs and paint being corroded under the hood
on
> his C300 this summer at S. Lake Tahoe and Mike Meyer having a battery
bubble
> over and wreck his beautifully restored H convertible engine compartment.
> Maybe get the tar battery for display at shows and drive with an optima?
> ROB KERN

We live in a region where car batteries get cooked. Batteries don't last
long and most brands 'gas' with heavy terminal corrosion. We stock and sell
the AC Delco brand batteries due to a very efficient, sealed top venting
system that keeps the posts and top clean. But, Delphi just sold their
battery part to Johnson Controls (Interstate brand among others) recently so
our latest stock is coming through with old technology vent caps. We are not
happy about this but this great gathering of suppliers under one corporation
is what is happening in the auto parts industry.

No battery will live long with a bum charging system. I have seen corrosion
damage at the terminals with the gel batteries and have also not seen any
great performance advantage to justify the extra cost so have not to date
been selling any. An Optima will not put up with a charging system running
wide open. So, installing an Optima battery in a car with a bad voltage
regulator (etc) won't fix anything and is not a good idea in my opinion.

Clean battery connections and low resistance ground and power paths all
around along with a good battery and properly regulated charging system work
best. Over fill any pop top battery with electrolyte and there will be a
mess. With removable cap batteries we will maintain electrolyte levels down
some from the top of the fill rings but above the plates of course as a old
desert trick to keep them from making such a mess.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links