[Chrysler300] near 50 years ago a 300C was built

[Chrysler300] near 50 years ago a 300C was built

Any of you not interested in how 1957 300Cs were built/assembled, this may
not interest, may be very boring.

Wasting a Saturday in efforts to fast track rust removal on last of my
300Cs, I found it necessary/easier (if ever there is such a thing as it
being 'easier' if you first have  to do something you don't want to?!) to
remove a door. (ah that lovely little riveted pin that holds the door steady
rod - back in late 1956 some worker decided to give someone in 2006 some
grief by overriveting it so it would not tap out after drilling the riveted
end off!!)
And this leads to today's topic - namely is anything 'new' really new?  And
what I am talking about is I think the Japanese a few years back claiming
they were first to use 'just in time' componet supply re building cars.

Well on removing the door trim/card on the 300C (built by Club records on
Dec 28 1956), is stamped on the back of the trim "American Auto Felt, Dec 22
1956, Ivan Clark Plant, Lyons Michigan.

Now does this pose the question of what days were weekends around Dec 22 -28
1956, and how close did Chrysler run re componets arriving for cars being
assembled - don't know what days were holidays at Chrysler between Dec 22 -
28 1956, but they sure didn't have parts sitting around for weeks before
they went into cars?
And what makes this more interesting, is the car was the 46th built, so they
seemingly left parts for first cars until last minute, despite knowing the
start dates months before?

The other stamp on the back of door trim is another 3 line ink stamp
"CODE#60, KIT#1812526, C-76-30 SP. CL. CPE,
then elsewhere on doorcard rear is, in pencil handwritten flowing lowercase
initials,  EW, and RP, with a red pencil "Barb" - anyone know who Barb was,
or the other initials?

Regards the door itself, even the inside of the door was painted body color
on the bottom surface behind the trim, as well as all area that the door
card is affixed to.  And in the bottom of the door was lying fallen off
bitumen proofcoating about 1/2" to near 3/4 inches thick that had been
sprayed on inside of door skin - weighs a ton!!  Yet the front vertical
inner frame of the door was bare metal - luckily still like 'brand new', not
a sign of rust or even surface rust!!  All the cabin floor was original
exterior red color coat over the bitumen/proofcoating, but verticals off the
floor and underdash are just a sort of glossy grey primer.

The other 300Cs I have do not have such thick proofcoating inside the doors,
so maybe workers were overzealous with it on early cars - pity they didn't
rustproof the rockers better?!! - boy these 300Cs are real mongels for rust
there, bet there would be some suprises if one dug deep on some cars that
look show that are sometimes advertised?  When I bought this one, I knew it
was bodgied up, and what to maybe expect, but at least the few usual 300C
places where the rust is, is indeed 'usual 300C bad', but elsewhere much of
all the rest is srtill like new - the doors still have the factory plastic
protecting the door cards from moisture, and the chassis still has factory
black paint behind front wheel inner shroud.

Hope this has not bored you too much, but I think it would be interesting to
know/hear how things began back in late 56, and how possibly differed re
later 57 cars. Any out there have any comment re noting dates on their
doorcards versus build date - my car is number 46, and from memory motor 40,
so at that early stage seemingly the motors ran pretty close to car numbers?
  This car still has 120 mph speedo, so maybe Chrysler's 'just in time
speedo supplier' goofed up, and Chrysler just  said 'who cares', give it and
other early ones a 120 mph one, just like they got no meshes in front brake
vents/chromes ?!

yours from on Oz on a cold wet windy Sat evening where it looks like we are
in for a cold wet winter for a change, have set end of May as date for
rocker rebuild completion - hope I can meet this deadline - this cars 50th
birthday is nearing.

aussie Christopher

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM