Re: [Chrysler300] New member, new project

Re: [Chrysler300] New member, new project

Ryan, Lee, and others:

Thanks for the pointers.  My cousin also advised the same - that the pattern
on the 300L vinyl top is VERY difficult, if not impossible, to find.  It was
white, and well beyond saving, so I think I'll just try to get a close
match.  My plans are to drive the car, not show it for judging.

Your advice to try to keep the original front glass?  for "correctness"?
any other reason?  I was thinking that new glass would be a better choice -
40 years and 100K probably hasn't helped the windshield much - although it
looks to be in good shape - unless there are drawbacks to that strategy.
Rear glass is hard to find?  Perhaps I'll sacrifice the rear seal to be sure
and save the rear glass - the prudent way to go?

The glass installer I talked with felt that the rear should come out without
breaking - any concerns on that?  He also advised that, as careful as they
could be, sometimes the front glass does break - that's why I wanted to have
a backup plan.

My rubber seal questions stem from comments I've heard about difficulty in
obtaining a proper fit with aftermarket rubber seals - "one size fits all"
type of products, etc.  Steele and Laysons being choices for rubber seals -
I'll check with both, but still try to save the seals and clean them.

My treatment of the roof & channels - clean out as much rust as I can and
then cover with POR-15?  Would that be the best way to handle it?  I really
can't do a sandblast to bare metal type of job, but I'd like to prevent
future, common, vinyl top rust issues.

Lastly, (for now), advise on a solvent and method to get the glue off the
roof?  I want to have everything cleaned up and coated when I take it to the
vinyl top installer.

Thanks so much for the help - I'll have plenty more questions,

Dan Richardson
family heirloom 300L