Big wheel keep on turnin'

On page 94 of the Jan., 2007 Hemmings Motor News is a nice story about the
Kelsey Hayes company, its history and pictures of their wheels on the
beautiful DeTulio 1955 C-300.  The wheels have cute little red, white and
blue 300 medallions in the centers that really dress up the knock-off
mini-caps?and the wheel appears to have 56 spokes.

But, as I understand it, the wheels furnished by Chrysler in 1955 and other
years were made by the Motor Wheel Co., at least that is what is stamped on
the inside surfaces of the five 48-spoke 15? X 5 ½? wire wheels on and in my
C-300.   It would seem that the DeTulios went to the extra effort of
installing the old bullseye headlamps, they would want to have authentic
wheels on their car.

Could someone better informed than I communicate with Hemmings to correct
the widely-held notion that the wire wheels on our ?50?s Chrysler products
were all (most? some?) made by Motor Wheel, not Kelsey Hayes?

Kelsey Hayes did make the power brake boosters for Chrysler products in
1955.  Those boosters did not turn out to be anything to brag on and were
changed for 1956.

C-300?ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA