Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 value??

Near all that follows has likely been said before by myself and others.

After (too?) many years owning and playing with likely over 100
old/collector cars, I can only support Roger Schaaf's comments re how
any/all/most restoration projects can get badly out of hand re firsty
planned final cost and time and grief encountered.
As to what any fully restored car is worth, that is the old 'supply and
demand' reality - if there are buyers prepared to pay a price, and someone
wants to ask that price, and nowhere else is another equivalent car
cheaper!!?? But that does not mean the car is worth that seemingly too high
price?

But before all that, it comes back to why we/you want a particular car.
Originally, say maybe 20+ years ago, we/most wanted old cars, 300s, to drive
them first, maybe enjoy their looks, 300 features, 2nd.  Nowadays, 'most'
want their cars (ultimately) better than new, and then if we do, are then
scared to use them hard or fast ?!  Now it would be simpler if we could
still buy great original cars that we were happy to use as is, with minor
ongoing improvement/resto.

As to badly rusted, major 300 jewellery, features missing, 300s, let me say
that it has taken me 10 years of searching to get near 100% of the not so
large number of usual 300C bits that are often missing, need upgrading, for
my 2nd 300C, which was a basically down condition 98% complete/correct
factory red coupe, and it only largely thanks to Ebay over last 2 years that
I can say that. ( Also adding that Ebay the last 8-12 months has been fairly
slim pickings re offereings, let alone often stupid high prices?! ) Of
course being overseas, made this more difficult than US 300 owning
residents' situations.

I guess it comes back to how little money means to one - if $70-120K will
not dent/worry one's budget, then maybe a decision to spend/buy that amount
is way simpler. As for me, my idea is 'get the buggers on the road', then
worry about 'perfection' later (if one lives long and rich enough!!?), and
buying those mega dollar perfect cars today is/are out for me if I wish to
play/continue the 'fifteen cars ownership field'. But that does not mean one
does not appreciate/respect those who build and use that 'perfect car', 300.
It does however mean, do NOT usually start with a 'mission impossible'
car/project ?!!

Drive your 300s, I at least started and moved my 2nd 300C today, even if it
only a few feet,

Christopher in Australia

Ps thank you to those who pointed out "Mopar" origins - here over 25 years
ago in Australia, Chrysler closed, Mitsubishi took over their Plant - may in
say another few years/decade we at least (for now) still have GM and Ford
here, and many still know and remember the origins of Delco, Autolite, etc.
Whereas Chrysler closed and left those years ago, the last 2 years TV now
regularly features adverts for new Chrysler product, even if still a mainly
scarce sight in daily peak hour traffic.

>From: "Roger Schaaf" <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <C300@xxxxxxx>,<Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 value??
>Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:18:39 -0700
>
>Timo Tanskanen would be as good as you will ever find in Calyfornua.
>However you certainly will be looking at a 100k plus and that would be a
>bargain to have one of the best.  I followed very closely the restoration
>of a red 55 that he did for a close friend(Bill Madden) of mine.  The car
>is superb.  It is a zero option car, no radio, no heater, no pw, ps, pb,
>nada nada.
>
>Timo is now just finishing up for Bill, a 59 black Crown Imperial
>convertible that will have its first showing at Carmel(invitation only)
>next month during the 2 weeks of annual Monterey festivities.  I believe
>that this car will be the finest Imperial to be found anywhere.
>
>You are usually far better off to find a finished car unless you enjoy the
>often frustrating birthing process and can willingly endure the death of a
>thousand knives as you write the checks and tell the white lies to your
>spouse about how much this is really going to cost.
>
>Roger Schaaf
>300 B Calyfornua

Movie session times on Messenger - add Movie Scout today!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=785&referral=hotmailtagline0707&URL=http://www.yourmovies.com.au/messenger/signup/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional