[Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear and a date correction

[Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear and a date correction

1) Owen Grigg/others asked for casting numbers off the limited slip diff in my supercharged 300C - as I thought they are buried in a good heavy thickness of (likely 40+ years) of caked dirt/gease, so I have sprayerd some degreaser on both sides of diff, and will re-apply until a wire brush makes detail read-able.

2) I made a typo when I earlier posted the date that the supercharged Flying Mile car ran at Daytona  - the car was built in Dec 1956, and clearly obviously did not run at Daytona Feb 1956 - correct date was Feb 1957.

It is hard enough trying to find out things now often 50 years later, without typos making it more confusing.  And those looking for 300Cs running at darg events, the NHRA put most/all? 300Cs- Bs, and likely Ds, to I don't know what letter 300s - in the same competition class (Coupe) as virtually full competition coupes such as a 34 Ford, or 40 Willys with say a 392 hemi in it, so only fools would bother !??  Others in the US may offer better knowledge than I have built up.

Certainly without a limited slip diff, the supercharged 300C I have only driven fairly briefly before starting the rust resto, would have gone nowhere on the tires back then.  Even now still totally untuned, just a fair dose of throttle holding on the brakes, then releasing, sees two clouds of smoke pour off fairly new crossplies - but at least the car launches pretty straight, and gets up quick as tires grip.

Christopher in Australia where it over 102 degrees today, and my first 300C totally unfussed by heat, a real treat to drive - just been helping unload and drive a real low mile  '55 Cad Elso Biarritz convertible (twin batwinged 4bbl carbs), 2 by 68 440 RT Chargers, a real nice unrestored chrome Hooker headed side piped '71 454 4 spd Corvette Roadster, and a as new to drive red 64 Vette coupe with only 27,000 mile most museum life.

And guess what (not that I am biased) - would not swap my (not concours) 300C for any of them re the combination of so pleasant to drive, brilliant responsive auto, gutsy motor, and way it just sits on the road and is just effortlessly great at either 40 mph or 70 mph - and when an about 8 year old girl just rushes over to tell you before you drive away "what a great car", life 'daily driving' a 300C can't be too bad eh !!??  But bloody heck, put a 65-67 Vette Coupe with factory knockoffs up there as one of US/World's greatest iconic styled cars along with some of our early 300s, plus world's oldest favourite - early 60s Jag XKE coupe/roadster - any of those 3 cars/icons, has got to be better than money rotting in a/the Bank ?!
May your current US snow and storms pass so you can enjoy your 300s

To: cotejohnr@xxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: eltuuri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:28:47 +0000Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300C ?

Jack both wheels up --turn one wheel--if the other one turns the same way- it is a sure-grip---if it turns the opposite way -it is not ElmerTo: ram300@xxxxxxxxxx; thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx; lettercars@xxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: cotejohnr@xxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:28:01 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300C ?As follow-up to Owen's comments, is there a externally identifiable characteristic that confirms a Sure-Grip is in there?Is there a difference in the differential housing that quickly identifies these Sure-Grips?John-----Original Message-----From: Owen Grigg <ram300@xxxxxxxxxx>To: 'christopher beilby' <thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx>; lettercars@xxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 4:09 pmSubject: RE: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300C ?Does the diff centre on your car have a stamping on the pad below the fillerplug on the passenger side? This is where the ratio is stamped, are thereany other letters or numbers on it? Or is there an aluminum tag around thefiller plug? Was your car a 399 motor code with the "chassis package"? Owen_____ From: christopher beilby [mailto:thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, 4 December 2007 9:37 a.m.To: Owen Grigg; lettercars@xxxxxxx; darrin.bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: RE: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300C ?My Dec 1956 build Daytona "Flying Mile" car/300C has a limited slip difffitted, however at this stage I do not know if it is factory fitment. Afterthe car ran at Daytona in early Feb 1956, Briggs Cunningham (a la theCunnigham sports race car Le Mans attempts), took the motor and car to setthe supercharger mixtures correctly that limited/wrecked Daytona speeds tojust over 150mph, and set them up on his engine dyno, reinstalled it and didwhatever mods he felt necessary, whereafter the car ran supposedlyundefeated at various eastern states drags for some period.The car has seemingly all other corrrect factory equipment, orig numberseverywhere, however Cunningham would have been savy enough to fit limitedcentre diff if car did not have it then, even to it still having one of onlytwo known special build superchargers that I believe Cunningham was behindseeing built, one off, uprated to seeming so rare race specs.Whatever, either way, the diff centre would have to have been availableeither Dec 1956, or mid 1957?!Christopher in Australia where some southern parts just had hottest Novembersince white settlement/arrival in the 1800s_____ To: lettercars@xxxxxxx; Darrin.Bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: ram300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:48:07 +1300Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300LHi all,I believe there was some talk to suggest that Kiekhaefer wasusing/experimenting with limited slip rear axles in his race '55-6 300'stoo. Owen -----Original Message-----From: Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> yahoogroups.com[mailto:Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> yahoogroups.com]OnBehalf Of lettercars@aol. <mailto:lettercars@xxxxxxx> comSent: Monday, 3 December 2007 4:34 p.m.To: Darrin.Bailey@ <mailto:Darrin.Bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> scc.virginia.gov;Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [Chrysler300] Sure Grip Rear - 300LDarrin and All:The 300L was definately available with the Sure Grip limited slip rear axle----all year long. The info I have says it was standard epuipment, butI think I will defer to 300L model year consultant Don Warnaar on that one.Sure Grip was introduced in 1958 and was an option from that year on. 1957390HP 300C performance package included a "limited slip" differential as well. Idon't think I would put too much trust in the accuracy of that book!In a message dated 12/2/2007 9:11:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, Darrin.Bailey@ <mailto:Darrin.Bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> scc.virginia.govwrites:The 300 Group:I have a question about the availability of the sure grip differentialfor 1965 Chrysler (and prior years). Per the Chrysler 300 SeriesPedigree, Power and Performance since 1955 hardback book from VelocePublishing, it states on p. 119 in the chart of 300-L options that theSure Grip option code 596 was available March 1, 1965. Does this seemcorrect? Does this in fact mean Chrysler did not offer this type rearuntil after mid-production year? I thought Chrysler offered the suregrip for years prior on 300's? Does anyone know when the first wasoffered? I even thought a 300-L that I previously owned with a 10/20/64build date had a sure grip rear and my current 300-L, I believe hassure-grip with a build date of 12/28/64? Could this just be a misprintin the book? Thanks,Darrin Bailey **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottestproducts.(http://money.<http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001>aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]To send a message to this group, send an email to:Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> yahoogroups.comFor list server instructions, go tohttp://www.chrysler <http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm>300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htmFor archives go to http://www.forwardl<http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/> ook.net/300-archive/ Yahoo! Groups Links_____ Find it at www.seek.com.au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it!<http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: