[Chrysler300] Regulator not regulating? Alternator too big?

[Chrysler300] Regulator not regulating? Alternator too big?

Hi All,
            First let me start by saying I've got a new voltage regulator (
it looks like the correct mechanical regulator but is electronic inside ) on my
'64 and voltage is at about 15.8 volts. I then tried one of the MoPar
Performance "constant charge" regulators they recommend when using their electronic
ignition conversion kits. This regulator, they say, is supposed to charge at a
constant 13.5 volts. With that part installed I'm getting about 15.2 - 15.4
volts.

            Is this just poor quality control in a few regulators? Should I
try another one?  Also, I've noticed on napaonline and checkerautoparts
websites there are several different regulators available saying with and without
60amp and leese neeville?

            Now some additional information ( purists beware ).  In
anticipation of many added electrical components (stereo, a/c, dvd player foy my two
year old etc) I've added a late model high amp alternator.  This Dodge
alternator is of course dual field and non-internally regulated.  In accordance with
instruction I've grounded one of the two field terminals on the alternator and
also added a 4 gauge wire from it directly to the starter relay. That part
keeps the cars original wiring from frying at the bulkhead connector.

        So.. any ideas why the regulator can't keep the volts where they need
to be? Yes the regulators were properly grounded. I didn't think that the
Amperage rating on the alternator has anything to do with Volts or the regulating
of the Voltage. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Mike Laiserin

<*> Your email settings: