RE: [Chrysler300] ZDDP re-visited-the bottom line/Showtime/55 AMA specs?

Speaking of exhaust, I was at a swap meet yesterday and saw a pair of the hemi exhaust manifolds with the 4 bolt flanges.  They were not made out of gold, but the seller was very firm on his $450.00 price for the pair.  Is this the 'going rate' for these pieces?

________________________________

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rich Barber
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:59 PM
To: 'Michael Reed'; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] ZDDP re-visited-the bottom line/Showtime/55 AMA specs?

The ZZDPlus website pooh-poohs the diesel oils (and everything else except
their product) due to excessive detergent package and inappropriate
viscosities, among other reasons. The website is an interesting read but
does not address why their additive adds $2.00/quart to the cost of an oil
change while former and present lube oil vendors can blend it in for
apparently negligible cost. At $2.50/ounce, it costs
$320/gallon//$13,40/barrel. It is advertised on eBay, but at essentially
the same price.

One of the most interesting curves presented at the website is the
concentration depletion with mileage. It's almost as if the ideal situation
would be to bring the concentration up to minimum, then maintain it by
adding a few drops every few miles. Like good old Marvel Mystery Oil
(except that went into the intake manifold).

Bottom line for me is that it is still pretty cheap protection, especially
if one can buy oil with enough zinc in it to protect our high performance
engines. I'm going to find some for both my '55 C-300 and my '86 LeBaron
T&C with 2.2 turbo and catalytic converter. Replacing the cat should be
cheaper than a rebuild.

Michael: Where do you find spec's on ZDDP content for the oils you favor?

Went to a local car show today, judged by entrants. Beautiful venue near
waterfront in Benicia, CA.

Results:
Fords: 19
Chev: 15
Dodge: 2 ('68 & '70 Chargers)
Olds:2 (Both '50 coupes, 1 Best of show)
Chrysler: 1 '38 Royal with rat motor (2nd in class-nice old 4-door
Royal-street-rodded, but stock body-folks do appreciate something different)
Cadillac: 1- '49 Fastback, first in class

Now, if I bagged our C-300, painted it metalflake red, chopped the top,
installed a supercharger and a custom interior, chromed the engine
compartment--do you think those Ford and Chevy owners would vote for
it--maybe. Would you? No. Case closed.

There was a rather interesting '62 Chrysler "Newport" there, highly
customized and chopped--metal flake green, custom interior. Kinda reminded
me of those overweight and overaged actresses that try to compete with the
young hotties. Two separate classes and never the twain shall meet.

I met a guy whose dad used to own a '55 Chrysler 300, except it was blue and
a convertible. Happens all the time. Folks remember and appreciate the
style and the reminiscences that flood back with viewing our car. And a few
kids really think the car and its "dagger-on-the-dash" are cool. That makes
it a good enough day for me. I met a new 300 Club member there (sans car,
but at my invitation) and he is thrilled with his new purchase of a red F
coupe. He and it will be a contender after restoration.

Did some 80 on I-680 and it seemed to be just leveling out. I put 30 psig
in the L-78x15 Remingtons and the ride was a little firmer and harsher.

Questions:
Anyone have a set of the AMA specs that I could get a copy of? I'm most
interested in the spec's for ENGINE-EXHAUST SYSTEM-Exhaust pipe diameter and
Tail pipe diameter.

This month's BRUTE FORCE publication has the '56 AMA specs and they are as
follows for the C-72-300 (300-B):
Exhaust pipe 2.25" Std, 3.0" Opt (Rev 12-5-55)
Tail pipe diameter 2.0 (Rev 12-5-55)

'56 NY was 2" and 1.75" for duals, Windsor was 2.5" and 2" for a single
exhaust with a 2" crossover. Duals offered as special equipment. 4-bbl
carb was "Power Package" on Windsor 331 poly.

The parts book seems to indicate the exhaust pipes for '55 & '56 300's are
the same, but the tail pipes are different. Any insights on proper diameter
before I have some new aluminized steel tube rolled would be appreciated.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (high 80's and low 90's here (temperature, not speed!)
1955 Chrysler C-300 (nicely waxed and looking about as good as it could in
off-spec white--and aren't wire wheels fun to detail?)