RE: [Chrysler300] Dual Outlet Master Cylinder

RE: [Chrysler300] Dual Outlet Master Cylinder

Re rear brakes locking on too soon when fitting front discs, I don't know if this following thought/idea is any use, but it maybe something those in the US with still some big wrecking/junk yards with late 60s cars still in them to raid?

As one reason I have not finished my Supercharged 300C, is amongst the other cars I have been trying to get out of the way first, have been front disc braked '69-70 Pontiac Grand Prixs and El Caminos.

GM had factory boosters as part of factory disc brake setup then, and what I suggest applies particularly when they went to large single pot calipers - this I believe first in 1969?

GM put a small additional proportioning (pressure?!) valve/gizmo thingo, on one brake line, just after it left the booster.  Now they did this only up to around 1971, which I presume by then they had figured morrect bore sizes so no problem still that required this extra part.

Now I also have noticed that some of my 4 69-71 El Cs and GPs may also have another valve/restrictor bolted to rear frame, just where rrear main brake line turns in to go across to diff.

I can check which has what combos if needed, but masin point maybe worth looking into is seeing what the booster mounted front valve/restrictor is/does, and if that is worth a try - it real simple to get new ones, plus theuy only about 1/2 size of clenched fist, and sit in snug against/under booster snout, or could be mounted on frame when that brake line goes down there?

I guess all GM 1969 and 70 disc brake cars may have had this added valve - ie Chevys, Olds Buick - so they pretty easy to ask about/find.

Christopher in Australia - weather here now alternating the odd near hot day, then former cool showery 'not enough rain' multiple days - the warm days warm enough that snakes and lizards will be waking up, on the move.

To: spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: mwl1967@xxxxxxxxxxx: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:13:47 -0400Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Dual Outlet Master Cylinder

John,I've got 4 wheel discs on my K and am not real happy without the power assist. I've been told I can run just the front circuit through the booster which would subsequently assist the unboosted rear circuit but I;m not quite sure I believe it nor have I tried it.There is a company offering a dual remote booster / slave assembly, it is essentially two small units mounted in tandem and ran around $700 bucks or so. If I recall it was too large to mount under one fender and I'd have to separate them and put one under each fender. The other option if you can find the info would be to try the volvo unit you mentioned... do you have any details? A service manual? Size?I would like to try one of these options soon. The other issue for me would be to figure out how to run it with an engine that's only making 7inches of vacuum at idle.FYI for anyone updating brakes in my opinion would be to go to discs in the front and leave the rear drums alone. Sure the vented / slotted rotors look cool but any of the kits using the '79-'85 GM rear calipers should be avoided like the plague...IMO. Also, the Wilwood kits use calipers that don't have dust seals on the pistons and hence aren't exactly meant for longevity if used regularly on the street. Mike LaiserinPhoenix, AZIn a message dated 9/21/2008 1:06:48 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:Along with Carl's request, has anyone successfully converted a 300-J or 300-K with the remote booster to a dual-circuit master cylinder? I looked into doing this at one point, and the one solution I came up with that would retain power brakes is to use the original booster for the front circuit, and add a second remote booster for the rear brakes. The remote booster does certainly complicate the issue of going dual circuit. A 1968 Volvo 122S wagon I once owned had such a booster that handled both circuits - I might have to consider locating one of those., but they are scarce.John SpiersLake Worth, Florida**************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)