Re: [Chrysler300] 300 L wheels & tires

Gary Barker wrote:
> I have always put a small dap of Grease on the tire and then role the
> car at least one turn  of the wheel and then Measure the  distance
> between the grease spots.    Gary Barker

hey guys don't get too hung up on circumference. The only thing that
circumference affects is speedometer error. And a paper tape measure of
circumference is probably fine for a belted radial which will not grow
significantly due to the belt stiffness. The older bias ply tires and
especially race tires grew with inflation - typical cold pressures were
in the low 20's and operating temperatures were typically 32-35 psi hot
- and especially race tires on a hot day at 230F pyro temp would
increase enough that you could feel it if you changed a rear on one side
til it warmed up - but not to worry much about street belted tires on an
antique.

The 5 items you want to know are 1. diameter as it affects clearance; 2.
static loaded radius as it affects car height and radials are lower than
old bias tires at same diameter or circumference; 3. tread width as it
and diameter affect clearance at steering extremes; 4. section width
which is a function of tire and wheel - as this affects clearance to
struts and other hardware; and 5. offset which is a function of wheel
geometry only but will affect all lateral clearance issues.

If  you are really concerned with speedo error, consider most
speedometers are off by a percent frequently more as speedometer pinions
offer about a +/-2% calibration per tooth change - and a difference of 1
inch in circumference on a 90 inch circumference is only 1.1% or 60.6
mph vs 60 mph.

best, Ed

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional