RE: [Chrysler300]Self Adjusting valves

All Chrysler 300's use reciprocating four-stroke cycle internal combustion
engines.  These engines tend to make increased horsepower at higher RPM-up
to some thermal or mechanical limiting point.  In earlier days RPM was
limited by hydraulic tappets that tended to stay fully extended at high RPM
and prevented intake and exhaust valve from fully closing.  Solid tappets
required additional maintenance and produced a noisier engine at times but
allowed an engine to operate at higher RPM and horsepower.  For instance,
the 331 in3 hemi engine of 1955 was rated at 250 HP @ 4,600 RPM with
hydraulic lifters and a single four barrel carburetor.  By adding a "full
race" camshaft and a second carburetor and converting from hydraulic to
solid tappets/lifters, the upper end of the engine's operational range was
raised to 5,200 RPM.  If torque remained constant, the increased RPM would
have resulted in a 283 HP rating.  The modified camshaft and additional
carburetor resulted in greater fuel and air flow and the new engine was
rated at 300 HP @ 5,200 RPM.  The rest is history.

Subsequent technology enabled use of hydraulic tappets at higher RPM and
also enabled properly feeding an engine with a single four barrel carburetor
(or no carburetor at all with various types of fuel injection), but the
visual impact of two four barrel carburetors, either in line under a Delta
Wing air cleaner, or out at the ends of ram intake manifolds under their own
individual goldine tin pots has yet to be equaled.

Or, such is my understanding and belief.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler 300 (Intake system is an impressive work of art and
technology)