(1969) the "expensive to produce" 300s were barely  a memory.  Perhaps another
member can shed more light on the subject.
300ly, Gil C.

In a message dated 4/30/2009 11:15:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Maybe  Gil or other knowledgeable former Chrysler employees could comment
on if the  300's themselves were ever a profitable car for Chrysler.  I was
under  the impression that their cost was more than their selling price but
that they  brought a lot of interest to Chrysler and were good advertising
for the entire  company.  If that is true it would be interesting to know what
their  approximate selling price would have otherwise been.

Carlton  Schroeder
(in soggy Eagle River, WI)

----- Original  Message -----
From: Larry Nirenberg
To: John ;  Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:47  AM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] f going in  museum

Unfortunately, I don't think $38,000+  means what it used to especially
in car terms. The inflation  calculator doesn't do justice to what this
car cost new in relative  terms. Searching the web I found the average
price of a new car in  1960 was about $3000. At $5411 the 300F base
price was over 80% more  than the average new car price of the era.
Today, the average car  price is $28,000+ times 1.8 is over $50k (and
likely more as I  assume the average price is MSRP as equipped not
average base  price). All do respect to the new 300, I think this price
range is  more reflective of the company an original letter car kept in
modern  terms. Not exactly earth shattering but interesting to think
about.