RE: [Chrysler300] 300D Power Steering Hose

RE: [Chrysler300] 300D Power Steering Hose

Frank:

Welcome to the club and congratulations on acquiring a "D".

The two sections of the high pressure power steering hoses have different
diameters and are connected by a metal fitting (which could very well have
an orifice restrictor in it) is no doubt a design to reduce liquid pulsation
from the interaction of the pulses from the rotating power steering pump and
the internals of the power steering box--when all are operating properly.
It is extremely unlikely that the dimensions of the hoses and restrictor
would change over time or with an alternate manufacturer.  Pulsation in the
system suggests a problem in the pump, its drive system or the steering box.
The pump contains a relief valve, a flow control valve and numerous other
components that are subject to wear and maladjustment.  The 1955 service
manual describes fixes for numerous power steering system irregularities.  I
found no reference to any problems being based on the hose.  Proper level of
power steering fluid in the reservoir is mentioned as being important.

I have collected several original and non-Chrysler power steering hoses for
our '55 C-300.  All are similar with only minor variances in lengths.  The
angle, orientation and location of the bends in the steel tubing at either
end have a big impact on how the hose system is routed so as to eliminate
tight bends and kinking while avoiding contact with the engine, manifold and
other underhood items.  The foam rubber donut on the hose helps to assure
any contact is with the donut, not the hose.  If the hose does not route
neatly and without any severe bends or twists it may not have the tubing
bends in the correct places--even though the tubing fittings on the ends
properly thread into pump and box.

Good luck.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber