[Chrysler300] Theoretical and Applied Thermodynamics & Showtime

[Chrysler300] Theoretical and Applied Thermodynamics & Showtime

I recall reading that the a/c water pump for the 331 hemi actually has a
smaller impeller than does the non a/c pump.  And, I've observed that the
a/c cars have fully boxed radiator shrouds (and another blade or two on the
fan?).  Our '55 C-300 does not like long, slow parades or bad stop-n-go in
CA gridlock and runs its needle up to the P in TEMP.  Seems to run OK there,
however.  If I find a box shroud, I'll probably buy and install it.  More
demerits.

Background:  I purchased a used 1967 Plymouth Satellite II with 383 2-pot,
factory a/c and trailer towing package.  Lightly loaded with no trailer in
100 degree plus ambient temp on I-80 between Lincoln and Cheyenne, I could
not maintain 75 MPH AND run a/c without overheating.  About 60 MPH with a/c
was tops.  I always felt the bean counters had cut out some cooling capacity
and I was very disappointed in the car's performance that day.  Otherwise, a
pretty decent sedan.

Certainly, there could have been other issues.  I've heard that ignition
timing can affect engine heat rejection and I don't recall whether the '67
TF had a lockup torque converter.  Otherwise, 10% or more of developed HP
would be converted to heat in the torque converter and need to be rejected
in the tranny cooler section of the radiator.

More feedback:  The hidden electric fuel pump on our C-300 is proving to be
a good investment.  Often, but not always, the fuel levels in the two glass
bowls is visibly down after operation and standing for a while.  Running the
pump with a push button before cranking can fill the glass and carb bowls
and I can hear the pump sound change as it pumps up against the float
valves.  One light throttle pump and an easy start.  More demerits, but
highly recommended.

Even more feedback:  I carried bottles of water when I was running flathead
F**d's and '49-'50 O**smobiles.  Water poured over the fuel pump and fuel
lines was often necessary to stop the vapor lock.  Aluminum foil,
clothespins, copper wire and other tricks were used with varying success to
cool the lines and fuel pump.  I switched to Chrysler in 1950 and never had
another problem with vapor lock or hot starts.

I hope to see some of you at the MoPars in the Park car show in Sacramento
Saturday.  Nice show with parking under trees for shade!  There is a
Chrysler 300 letter car ('55-'65) category.  See:
http://www.capitalcitymopars.com/2008%20Pages/2009CarShowFlyer.htm

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (heating up, now that summer's here.)
1955 Chrysler C-300
1986 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country Turbo 2.2 Convertible (Shelfpaper
Woody)