Re: [Chrysler300] tranny pan gskt dry or w/sealant??

Re: [Chrysler300] tranny pan gskt dry or w/sealant??

  I think the best procedure is to install the gasket dry. The pan must be flat and the trans case clean and dry. Sure leak if trans fluid is on the gasket or case. Easy to overlook making the pan super flat or slightly dimpled away from sealing surface at screw holes in the pan. Real critical area to not over stress gasket in screw hole areas.

  Jon Stewart has 'new rules' but the old trans builder rule of "no sealer" I think is still the best.

  Had a customer owned 1963 Fury with a bad cronic pan leak. Trans had over 200K miles on the original trans. Thing had had pounds of sealer gooped on a few times and a new pan and double gaskets but it still leaked. I tried dry gasket and super straightening the pan and that did not work either.

  We rebuilt the trans in the old Plymouth when it finally developed some operational problems. Real nice trans after that that absolutely did not leak and we for sure installed the pan with a dry gasket. Case can pressurize and that is quite evidently what was happening with the Plymouth. So, my opinion has been, and the Plymouth is one example in my history bank,  that if sealer is needed (and I have never seen it work on any trans pan anyway) there is a problem that needs to be fixed and that could be nothing more than detailing out a bent pan and super cleaning contaminated sealing surfaces and 150 in-lbs even torquing of the pan screws.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional