Re: [Chrysler300] 300 F Stone Guards

Terry and All:
Finally sorted through all my 1960 Chrysler information looking again for
the answer as to why it seems some 300Fs came with the Stone Guards/Sill
Moldings.  I personally have two cars with the extra trim.  My black  fully
optioned hardtop has not only the sill and stone shield trim, but also the
full wheel opening trim, front and rear.  The red hardtop has just the sill
and stone shield moldings.  In looking at all the information, it is clear
that the 300F was NOT intended to have any of this extra trim.  There are
only 2 accessory codes that even mention moldings in 1960, and they are for
Windsor only.  #304 Decor Group includes the sill molding, stone  shields,
and wheelcovers.  Code 414 is just the stone shields and sill  trim, Windsor
only.  From what I can tell, the 1960 Windsor came standard  with none of the
above trim, the Saratoga came standard with the sill and stone  shield
trim, and the New Yorker came standard with all four wheel opening trim  plus
the sill and stone shield as well.
So, in essence, I don't know!  It is a little hard to believe that all  the
examples were dealer installed, and we do know that some buyers with "pull"
 probably could get some special "service"---wink, wink.  I do know my
black  car had the moldings on it when I first saw it in Detroit about 1966/67.
 The microfilm has nothing strange on it except for the 99 code special
tires,  and the 888 white interior.  So, that is about it.  Does anyone out
there have a 300F with those "not available" moldings with enough knowledge
of its history to be able to certify it came that way from the factory  or
that the moldings were dealer installed?
Well, how is that for a lot of talk and no conclusion?
300ly, Gil C.

In a message dated 4/20/2010 10:06:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,