RE: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

RE: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

Ron,

I'll respond as follows:

"You said that you found signs of moisture in your fluid. If you were using
DOT 5, then that should not be possible as DOT 5 is non-hygroscopic. It
doesn't absorb moisture. Any moisture that gets into the system would stay
between the fluid and the brake line, possibly promoting corrosion of the
line. I suspect that the corrosion that you found in your wheel cylinder is
the non-absorbed moisture settling in one location"

I completely agree, that is what I found, a small amount of water at the
very lowest point, i.e.; the lower front wheel cylinder(s) after 18 years.

"DOT 4 will absorb moisture, keeping the moisture away from the line. BTW,
we're talking about
tiny amounts here"

Again, I agree, but it must be flushed more often because it attracts
moisture from the air, i.e.: it is hygroscopic by its nature, and will
become saturated at some point depending on your humidity and climate, and
the boiling point of the fluid is reduced.

"My other issue with DOT 5 is the reported high failure rate of the
hydraulic brake switch on the master cylinder. If I were to go
to DOT 5, then I would set up a second switch on the brake pedal, just to be
safe"

Again, I agree, but my G does not have a hydraulic switch, it has a
mechanical switch on the brake pedal arm.

"BTW, I use Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Activity) brake fluid in my vintage
cars, with very good results so far"

I also use Castrol LMA, and recommend it.  I use it in my '88 BMW 325i with
ABS, and my MGB before I sold it   Castrol LMA was not available in 1978,
and DOT 5 was the best thing going back then.  Having said that, I stick
with DOT 5 in the G for several reasons, 1.  I've used it for 30 years in
the G with good results, why change?  2.  DOT 5 will NOT melt paint like DOT
3 & 4 will, so if I spill a little during a brake bleed, no damage.  3.  DOT
5 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4, including Castrol LMA.  When I
go over the mountains to and from Reno, my brakes get HOT.  I don't worry
about brake fluid boil because the boiling point is higher and does not
degrade like DOT 3 & 4 can.  I know Castrol LMA is better in this regard,
but the boiling point is still lower than DOT 5.

"Most of us are guilty of not changing brake fluid often enough. I'm
probably
at the top of the list. :)"

Me too, I've learned from experience the importance of it.  "A stitch in
time saves nine"

Bob J

I don't want to get away from the topic of the original post, but just a few

thoughts here.

You said that you found signs of moisture in your fluid. If you were using
DOT 5, then that should not be possible as DOT 5 is non-hygroscopic. It
doesn't absorb moisture. Any moisture that gets into the system would stay
between the fluid and the brake line, possibly promoting corrosion of the
line.I suspect that the corrosion that you found in your wheel cylinder is
the non-absorbed moisture settling in one location. DOT 4 will absorb
moisture, keeping the moisture away from the line. BTW, we're talking about
tiny amounts here. My other issue with DOT 5 is the reported high failure
rate of the hydraulic brake switch on the master cylinder. If I were to go
to DOT 5, then I would set up a second switch on the brake pedal, just to be

safe. BTW, I use Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Activity) brake fluid in my
vintage cars, with very good results so far.

Most of us are guilty of not changing brake fluid often enough. I'm probably

at the top of the list. :)

Ron