  From: Keith Boonstra
  To: Ron Waters
  Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 10:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 57 - 59 grill U nuts

  I'll check into the Oxy-Solve product.  If that actually works like you say it does, it sounds like a decent alternative.  But I've found a lot of these rust curing products end up being mostly advertising puffery.  For example, Duro's "Extend" claims to actually convert rust and turn it into a black primer surface.  BS.  You can use it and get your part looking all purdy, but then if you go back and scrape it you'll find it just hid a layer of rust under it.  And someday your finish is going to fall back off again.  It's made me pretty skeptical of the claims of any of these conversion products, but I'll look into how well the Oxy-Solve actually works chemically.

  To me it's really important to get this sort of thing right.  It can be downright disheartening to work your buns off restoring something, only to have it return to it's former nasty state a few years later.  You really have to first figure out why it didn't stay looking good good in the first place, and then treat it in such a way as to keep the deterioration from happening again.

  Thanks for your comments.

  Keith Boonstra

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional