From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of C Bilter
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 3:11 PM
To: 'christopher beilby'; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300/other values after latest US Auctions?

A few quick thoughts

1) The selling price at auction of a letter car (or any car) will
depend on the condition of the car, the marketplace conditions and the
presence or absence of the right bidders at that point in time.

2) I see three types of buyers at auction IMO that results in widely
variable bids for a given vehicle

a. The collector - buys more on emotion, more interested in the right
car than the right price, goal is enjoyment, cherishes it as a family
heirloom, may assign a name and gender to the vehicle

b. The investor - buys with little or no emotion, focus is on the right
price. Goal is long term capital appreciation. Vehicle may sit in a
warehouse or museum and never get driven

c. The dealer or flipper - buys anything they think they can make a
quick buck on. Example would be the red E that sold at Mecum Des Moines in
July, now on ebay by a dealer out of St. Louis at an 80% markup in price

3) Values on letter cars have been strong at some auctions this year
(e.g RM Amelia Island D 'vert Sold for $203k) and weaker at some. Prices
generally seem a bit depressed for well restored examples evidenced at
auction and on ebay Letter cars went up when Mopar muscle (e.g. Hemi
Cudas) went up to the stratosphere; a correction was probably due. Hemi
Cudas are still way down from four years ago; letter cars less so but still
down from the Barrett-Jackson euphoria of 2006-07. IMO, this is the reason
more than the economy.

4) Nothing beats a great pair of fins. Finnned Mopars are hot (e.g.
'58 DeSoto Adventurer fuelie convert at Mecum Monterey no sale at $375k).
Finned Imperials have gone way up in the last four years, starting with well
resorted 'verts and trickling down to 4 door models. Some have doubled in
value. H, J, K, and L's are superb automobiles that are still relative
bargains.

Carl Bilter

300J (a great rare letter that hasn't gone through the roof in price) in
rainy Iowa

_____