[Chrysler300] More on the large 14 inch tires

[Chrysler300] More on the large 14 inch tires

All,
  I've been "enjoying" the recent posts on the above subject.  Now time for me to chime in with the long story.
  Last summer I was enjoying a ride in my 1968 New Yorker.  It is shod with Michelin P225/75-14's that were obsolete when I put them on (but were on a dealer's shelf).  That was in 1982 or 1983, I think.
  While doing a high speed, burn out the crud run, the right front tire gave up the ghost.  The old spare (a Goodyear H78-14) got me home.
  I then began the search.  To this point in time, I put on a replacement Firestone P215/75-14 that was in stock in the local dealer.  They have had three more backordered since with none coming in.  They are made in South America, and apparently none are being made for the foreseeable future.
  Diamondback does not have access to the European truck tire anymore.  Thus they only have a Cooper made tire that is the overly small P215/75-14.
  The only viable option I have found so far is Coker.  I have had several e-mail discussions with them.  Apparently the Coker and American Classic 14 inch tires are made in the same factory Coker bought in Penn.  Coker has not had the P235/75-14 in stock for some time.  The P225/75-14, considered the best fit for now, is/was only available in the wide white wall.  Some of the narrow whitewall, P235/75-14 American Classics were "due in" anytime now (and I ASSUME with them, the Coker brand of the same size).
  I have been told, by Coker, the problems with separation and balance problems have been rectified.  I do not know that I trust that statement--after all, who is going to tell you a $1000 plus of tires may be having problems?
  By the way, somehow, I just can't see having a tire on a classic piece of american steel that says Toyo or Kumho.
  Any current, viable alternatives or reassurances from independent sources on quality would be greatly appreciated by me.  As I understand, several year old data does not apply at the present.  I sure do not need to spend relatively big bucks to have a tire with a "gold mine" of lead installed on one side or have it separate at speed!
Tim Tomlinson
2X300-K and 1 '68 New Yorker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional