Re: [Chrysler300] More on the large 14 inch tires

Re: [Chrysler300] More on the large 14 inch tires

I think you are pretty much out of luck on 225/75R14 - Cooper was the
last one making them and I have a singleton NOS with a 2001 date code
but I think they stopped making them in 2006 or 2007 - and I would bet
they were the ones making for Coker as specs were pretty similar.

As to the 235/75R14 - I think you have that story correct - and for
anything later than 1962, narrow white is right. But if Coker's stock is
old, be aware of potential age issues.

As to the 215/75R14 (or 225/70R14) Narrow White I think your choices are
Firestone, Cooper, and maybe Hankook. The 225/70R14 is a touch shorter
than the 215/75R14, but there are still good sources for 225/70R14
(black and RWL) used for small pickups thru late 90's - and Diamondback
can do Whitewalls - but both the 215/75R14 and the 225/70R14 are a bit
small for a New Yorker or 300.

As to 15's, on the 68 NY, you can find correct 15 inch wheels and
non-Disc-Brake wheel covers or go with 70's Styled OE or 15 inch version
of the 5-spoke 14 inch Road Wheels.

Personally, of the tires I have looked at (Firestone, Cooper, Toyo,
Hankook, and Kuhmo), I would be more comfortable at speed on the Kuhmo
or Hankook as they appear to be more modern in construction - and feel.
The Toyo I looked at was made in China. I would prefer a nice modern
Goodyear or Goodrich made in USA, but it appears even the Firestones are
made in South America.

There are still bias and bias-belted made for Coker, but I would
hesitate to use those for serious driving - to me they are more for Show
than Go - I'd probably go 15" radials for serious driving or use
215/75R14 for casual use without any heavy loads.

Best, Ed

On 3/25/2011 9:53 AM, tomlin wrote:

> All,
> I've been "enjoying" the recent posts on the above subject. Now time
> for me to chime in with the long story.
> Last summer I was enjoying a ride in my 1968 New Yorker. It is shod
> with Michelin P225/75-14's that were obsolete when I put them on (but
> were on a dealer's shelf). That was in 1982 or 1983, I think.
> While doing a high speed, burn out the crud run, the right front tire
> gave up the ghost. The old spare (a Goodyear H78-14) got me home.
> I then began the search. To this point in time, I put on a replacement
> Firestone P215/75-14 that was in stock in the local dealer. They have
> had three more backordered since with none coming in. They are made in
> South America, and apparently none are being made for the foreseeable
> future.
> Diamondback does not have access to the European truck tire anymore.
> Thus they only have a Cooper made tire that is the overly small
> P215/75-14.
> The only viable option I have found so far is Coker. I have had
> several e-mail discussions with them. Apparently the Coker and
> American Classic 14 inch tires are made in the same factory Coker
> bought in Penn. Coker has not had the P235/75-14 in stock for some
> time. The P225/75-14, considered the best fit for now, is/was only
> available in the wide white wall. Some of the narrow whitewall,
> P235/75-14 American Classics were "due in" anytime now (and I ASSUME
> with them, the Coker brand of the same size).
> I have been told, by Coker, the problems with separation and balance
> problems have been rectified. I do not know that I trust that
> statement--after all, who is going to tell you a $1000 plus of tires
> may be having problems?
> By the way, somehow, I just can't see having a tire on a classic piece
> of american steel that says Toyo or Kumho.
> Any current, viable alternatives or reassurances from independent
> sources on quality would be greatly appreciated by me. As I
> understand, several year old data does not apply at the present. I
> sure do not need to spend relatively big bucks to have a tire with a
> "gold mine" of lead installed on one side or have it separate at speed!
> Tim Tomlinson
> 2X300-K and 1 '68 New Yorker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional