[Chrysler300] AUXILLARY FUEL PUMP

I had an electric in-line pump installed near the tank and in the area near
the left  rear axle arch of the frame of our 1955 Chrysler C-300.  I took
power from the START terminal of the ignition switch to a push button,
through an inline fuse connector and then to the pump.  I use it a lot by
placing the "dagger-on-the-dash" shift lever to any position except NEUTRAL.
Then, I push the button with the forefinger of my left hand while turning
the ignition key to the start/crank position with my right hand.  The engine
does not crank, the shift lever not being in neutral, but the pump can be
heard running.   I can hear the pump change its tune when the carbs are full
and the electric pump is pumping against closed float valves.  Then, a
couple of pumps of the accelerator to prime the manifold and we are
generally off to the races.  I have a second feed from the ACC position of
the ignition switch that would enable me to switch the feed from
intermittent to constant in case of mechanical fuel pump failure by
exchanging the fused connection.  Adequate fuel seems to be available to the
mechanical pump to run 90 MPH with the electric fuel pump off.  I and the
car have guts for more, but maybe not the 20+ year-old tires.

The warning about pumping raw gasoline into the crankcase through a ruptured
diaphragm in the fuel pump is noteworthy.  Mechanically bypassing the failed
fuel pump is certainly appropriate and I will be working up a jumper and
make sure I have the right tubing wrenches  to make the switch.  I can
visualize a little manifold with three-way valves that would enable the
bypass to be done quickly and safely without disassembly.

Although this topic has been brought up each year, it is appropriate to
again point out the risk of priming the carbs with gasoline or starting
fluid from a container of any sort.  I used to do this, but used a small oil
can with a squirt handle.  This seemed safer than using a plastic that may
be soluble in today's fuel.  It was pointed out to me that starting fluid in
metal cans would be safer to store in the trunk and use.  None of these
solutions eliminates the possibility of backfire through the open carb(s).
The storage and application of the priming fuel should be considered in your
solution.

An in-tank fuel pump, perhaps with a fuel pressure regulator before the
carbs, might be the best operational fix.  The fuel could be routed through
or around the mechanical fuel pump with provision for return to stock
appearance for that 0.001% of the time the car is being judged for
authenticity.

It was not surprising to read that the problem did not go away with the
later cars, so I will be adding a similar system to our 300K convertible.

I'll be loading up the C-300 and trailering it to Temecula for the "INC"
club meet there next week.  Show and tell there or anytime.  Wiring diagram
available on demand.  Voltage and polarity of the electric fuel pump are
critical.

C-300-K'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA