From: Edward Mills Antique Tractors [mailto:millserAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:19 PM
To: Michael Moore
Cc: Bob Jasinski; 'Chrysler 300 Club'
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Resending Gasohol additive article

Wish I could say I have had no problems - as to CA having used it for 20
years - try again - when I moved out of San Jose in 2005, they were
still using MTBE in most of the gas - no methanol til after 2005 - still
if you have been lucky for 5 years I envy you.

best, Ed

On 11/2/2011 9:50 PM, Michael Moore wrote:
> Well said Bob.
> Mike Moore
> 300H
> Morgan Hill, Ca
>
> On Nov 2, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Bob Jasinski wrote:
>
>> I've seen the clip before. I agree I'd rather be using 100% gasoline in
my
>> 300G but I must say I haven't run into the extremes of issues shown on
that
>> video. California has been putting ethanol in gas for close to 20 years
>> now, and if it was as bad as that video claims it to be, I think I would
>> have seen more problems. I do have to change out my rubber fuel lines
from
>> time to time, and fuel pump diaphragms last about 10 years, but that's
about
>> it.
>>
>> There simply is no practical alternative for getting 100% gasoline for
me.
>> As far as marine or aviation gas, give me a break. That stuff is so
>> expensive and so far to drive for, I'd rather sell the car than go
through
>> that hassle. It's $70+ a tank now to fill up!
>>
>> I'm all for getting rid of ethanol, but I just don't see it happening,
>> especially in CA where we have these "boutique fuels" forced on us. The
>> government doesn't want us driving our old cars, and they could care less
>> about the problems we have with gasohol..
>>
>> Bob J

Fall
>>> 2011 issue of Army Motors, presents the results of an objective
experiment
>>> designed to prove or refute the benefits of ³fuel stabilizers.² --The
>>> Editors
>>>

>>> Introduction:
>>>
>>> To design a simple, yet reproducible experiment to test the ³storage
>>> enhancing² properties of fuel stabilizers, I decided to test the
>>> ability of
>>> these additives to alter phase separation points. Two additives were
>>> compared by a simple titration experiment.
>>>
>>> Background:
>>>
>>> E10 gasohol is an inherently hygroscopic (absorbing and retaining water)
>>> solution due to the chemical nature of the ethanol (ethyl alcohol)
>>> added to
>>> the petroleum gasoline. The hygroscopic character of the ethanol means
>>> that
>>> gasohol will contain water. The actual amount of water that can be held
in
>>> solution in E10 varies directly with temperature. At 20° C, E10 can
>>> contain
>>> as much as 0.5 ml of water per 100 ml of E10. At -10° C, E10 can only
hold
>>> 0.3 ml of water per 100 ml of E10.
>>>
>>> Once the water content exceeds these limits, the phenomenon of ³phase
>>> separation² will occur. Gasohol phase separation happens when the
ethanol
>>> and water components separate from the petroleum gasoline; i.e., the
>>> ³phases² of the E10 gasohol solution ³separate.²
>>>
>>> During phase separation, the more dense ethanol and water components
>>> settle
>>> to the bottom of the container (i.e., the fuel tank), while the less
dense
>>> gasoline components rise to the top. The process is essentially
>>> irreversible. If phase separation happens in a fuel tank, corrosion can
>>> occur in the lower aspects of the tank exposed to the ethanol and water
>>> component. Fuel stabilizers purportedly allow a greater amount of water
>>> remain in solution in the gasohol before phase separation occurs. This
>>> claim
>>> could be tested.
>>>
>>> Methods:
>>>
>>> Two Eastwood ³Fuel Guard² products were obtained for these tests: Fuel
>>> Guard
>>> Protection formula to be used for every fill-up and Fuel Stabilizer
>>> formula
>>> for fuel stored up to 12 months. These fuel additives were mixed
>>> separately
>>> and in combination into 50 ml of E10 gasohol according to manufacturer¹s
>>> instructions. The amounts of each that were added to 50 ml of E10 are
>>> given
>>> in the following table:
>>> CONTROL
>>> No additive
>>> Fuel Protection Formula
>>> 0.15625 ml
>>> Fuel Stabilization Formula
>>> 0.15625 ml
>>> Fuel Protection Formula
>>> and
>>> Fuel Stabilization Formula
>>> 0.15625 ml and
>>> 0.15625 ml
>>> Additive total = 0.3125
>>>
>>> These solutions were placed in flasks and cooled to 10° C in an ice
bath.
>>> The solution in each flask was stirred with a magnetic stirrer while
>>> distilled water was titrated in. The end point of each titration was
>>> visually determined upon noting the occurrence of phase separation.
>>>

>>> Results:
>>>
>>> E10 with no additives underwent phase separation with the addition of
0.30
>>> ml water. In contrast, addition of either the Fuel Protection or Fuel
>>> Stabilization formulas delayed phase separation until the addition of
0.50
>>> and 0.49 ml of water, respectively. Finally, the addition of both the
Fuel
>>> Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas to 50 ml E10 delayed phase
>>> separation until 0.69 ml water was added.

>>> When used separately, either the Eastwood Fuel Protection Formula or
Fuel
> [...]
either
>>> product was used alone.
>>>
>>> These results demonstrate that the risk of phase separation is reduced
>>> when
>>> these products are used in E10 gasohol. The reason for the increased
>>> effectiveness of the combination of the two formulas is unclear. Product
>>> information available to the consumer states that both additives contain
>>> exactly the same chemical ingredients: napthenic oil, hydroethylated
>>> aminoethylamide, and petroleum naptha. The proportions of these
>>> ingredients
>>> in the different products are not given (nor were they provided to me
>>> despite a direct request to Eastwood). It is possible that the advantage
>>> derived from combining the Fuel Protection and Fuel Stabilization
formulas
>>> represented a mere doubling of the ingredients rather than some other
>>> enhancement derived from combining the two products.
>>>
>>> Conclusions:
>>>
>>> Eastwood Ethanol Fuel Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas
>>> significantly increase E10 gasohol resistance to phase separation and
>>> decrease the probability that phase separation will occur in the fuel
tank
>>> of stored vehicles.
>>>
>>> Epilogue:
>>>
>>> Given the results of the foregoing experiment, I will incorporate the
fuel
>>> additives into the gasohol that goes into my HMVs. The additive¹s cost
>>> will
>>> be insignificant compared to the cost of repairs that could result
>>> from the
>>> use of E10. In addition, tanks of fuel last a long time in my historic
>>> military vehicles and thus increases the risk of gasohol related
problems,
>>> so I have decided to keep a minimal amount of fuel in their tanks so
that
>>> the fuel is replenished frequently with new fuel and the
>>> now-proven-effective anti-alcohol additives. The fuel additives worked
in
>>> the lab, so they should work in the tank.
>>> Results:
>>>
>>> E10 with no additives underwent phase separation with the addition of
0.30
>>> ml water. In contrast, addition of either the Fuel Protection or Fuel
>>> Stabilization formulas delayed phase separation until the addition of
0.50
>>> and 0.49 ml of water, respectively. Finally, the addition of both the
Fuel
>>> Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas to 50 ml E10 delayed phase
>>> separation until 0.69 ml water was added.
>>>
>>> Comments
>>> . Steve Beurkens
>>> Grand Rapids, Michigan
>>>
>>> Great news. I have been using Stabil in my 1973 Triumph TR6 for the
>>> past 15
>>> winters. The car is stored from mid-October until the snow/salt is
>>> gone...usually the first week of April. I have NEVER had a starting

http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylangYahoo! Groups
Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional