RE: [Chrysler300] leaky transmission 62 sport

RE: [Chrysler300] leaky transmission 62 sport

Billllll:

I had the same problem on my ?62 Sport.  It used to leak a river of trans
fluid out and under the garage door for years.  It was definitely leaking
from the area of the shift cable.  I recently took out the trans and had it
rebuilt.  When it came time to reattach the push button shift cable, I
slipped a piece of good oil resistant tubing over the shift cable (maybe
15-20 inches long) and clamped it right at the point where the cable
attaches to the trans.  I used one of those clamps that you have to use a
ratcheting tool to crimp the clamp.  This has solved this source of leakage
positively.  That is what I would suggest.

Imperial Services used to source these cables but I have heard really bad
stories of non- shipment of cables bought and paid for from them.  I would
NOT use them if I were you.

However, I now have another bewildering source of trans fluid leakage.  I
fill the trans to the required level on the dip stick so it drives and
shifts perfectly.  I placed a large drip pan (approx. 3 x 5 feet by ¾ inch
deep in size) under the engine/trans and filled the entire drip pan with oil
dry to try to see where the leakage is coming from.  Within a day or so, I
sometimes see a small amount of trans fluid leakage (about 1 inch in
diameter at most) under the drivers? side rear of the trans pan.  This
doesn?t change for about 2 weeks.  Still the same size oil spot.  Then
overnight (after a week or two of sitting) without starting the engine or
even turning the engine over, I look under the car at the pan and the entire
drip pan is filled to the brim with trans fluid.

I cannot figure out why there is no leakage for two weeks and then overnight
the drip pan is full.  The only thing other Mopar friends can suggest is
that the transmission vent on the tail shaft of the 727 trans is somehow
plugged and the trans builds up pressure until it ?Burps? out about a quart
of fluid.  The entire transmission case is dry as can be ? no leakage from
any of the lines to the radiator cooler.  When it does leak, it just seems
to seep out of the rear of the trans pan.

I thought maybe it was coming out of the dip stick filler tube but that is
all dry.  I have not removed the filler tube to replace the ?O? ring as yet
nor have I investigated the transmission vent.

On one occasion, I thought that perhaps the torque convertor drain plug had
leaked.  It had not leaked for a week or so but I did start the engine to
check the trans fluid level.  I thought that on starting the engine, perhaps
the torque convertor drain plug had revolved around to a lower level and
provided a leakage point but I checked the plug and it is tight with no
leakage evident.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any possible solutions to this puzzling
problem?

Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)