RE: [Chrysler300] Fuel gauge on my 59E .................................

RE: [Chrysler300] Fuel gauge on my 59E ...........................................................

I built a little sending unit simulator with a variable resistor from Radio
shack.  Placing the variable resistor in the circuit in place of the sending
unit enabled me to drive the dash gauge from empty to full.  I then used an
Ohm-meter to measure the actual resistance of the variable resistor.  This
data enabled me to evaluate the performance of my sending unit and caused it
to rebuilt.  The rebuild job was pretty shoddy, but used an appropriate
resistance coil.  As a slider finger is driven across the wound resistance
coil by the float, good contact of the finger with the resistance coil is
critical and this turned out to be not so good, allowing an unrestricted
float action to make the gauge needle to be pretty jumpy.  I think the basic
design includes enough restriction of the slider on the coil to stabilize
the signal from the sender in spite of fuel sloshing.  I am away from my
data, but recall the Ohm range to be about 0-2 Ohms for the 6-Volt system in
our C-300.  Take care and seek recommendations before selecting a rebuilder.

Don't forget that the sending unit must be well grounded and this may be
made difficult by gasketing and the tank body possibly being somewhat
electrically insulated from the chassis.  Running a ground wire from an
added connection on the sender body to a good chassis ground will help clean
up the signal.  Perhaps an electrical engineer can size a capacitor to be
attached at the sending unit and/or the gauge end of the circuit to damp out
oscillations.

C-300-K'ly,

Rich Barber-From The MoPar Show in Van Nuys today-nicely attended by
Chrysler 300's.

Fuel level system R&D done on our 6-Volt 1955 C-300.

  _____