[Chrysler300] Kent Hurt's Passing

	I met Kent at the local Chrysler dealership in Concord, California back in, I believe 1978. I was a new member of the local 300 club and of course, Kent was at all of the meetings. One day he showed up with a copper bronze 300 C hardtop, completely restored with a new Goers interior. I already had purchased a basket case 300 E and a 300 B that was in very nice condition. I asked Kent if it was for sale, he thought about it for a while and came back to me and said yes and the price. He was restoring a single headlight 300 C convertible and wanted to finish it with the money from the 300 C hardtop. Done deal.

	I loved that car and had it over 150 miles an hour more than once.  I asked Kent about that and he indicated that the motor had been "warmed over". The first shift was at 65-70 and the second shift at 120, it had a limited slip rear axle,not sure of the ratio. I thought it was 3.23. It had disc brakes from an Imperial and would howl the front tires from 100 miles an hour. The only problem I had with it was blowing engine block freeze plugs when I drove it over 130 miles an hour. That happened three times before I found a plug that was tightened with a wrench and had a rubber style cork that expanded upon turning the wrench. Never had a problem after that.

	Shortly after I purchased the car from Kent, my wife Karen and I, along with some of my crew from the AAMCO shop that I co-owned in Concord, entered the car in the Concours de Elegance in Walnut Creek, taking second in class. Kent really did a great job on the car, he was a very generous gentleman, always cheerful and willing to share his experiences.

	May God bless his family and Kent will always be in my heart.

	Quentin B. Smith
	Rohnert Park, CA 94928

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional