From: Keith Boonstra
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:56 PM
To: David Schwandt
Cc: mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Member with an overheating problem with his K

Actually some (if not all) of the non-A/C letter cars ran a non-thermal
clutch as well. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear the beautiful
sound of solid lifters clattering away (in the 50s anyway)over the roar
of the cooling fan.

I've had two of my collector cars with fresh cooling systems overheat
while idling in the last couple of years, and the solution in both cases
was complete with the replacement of the fan clutches. The clutch is
usually the last suspect because its slowing with age can go undetected.

Interestingly the thermal type won't give you better MPG than the
non-thermal - actually less to some immeasurable degree. Depending on
the coolant temperature, the thermal type will range between something
like 30% and 65% (using more HP) of water pump RPM, while the
non-thermal one will just stay at 30% all the time. Of course the worst
case would be if it's bolted up straight without a clutch at all, where
the fan rips at 100% all the time.

But you're right. If you've got other blockage or pump problems, a new
fan clutch won't overcome that.

Keith Boonstra

-
On 3/27/2013 1:28 PM, David Schwandt wrote:

> Kieth,
>
> He's working on a non-A/C car and more than likely don't have a fan
> clutch.
> Just bolted up solid.
> That being said, a fan clutch and shroud May aid somewhat but the
> underlying o/heating problem will still exist.
> More than likely stat, plugged water passages and or water pump
> problems. If this is in an original engine to the car and has never
> been opened up
> I'll bet all the above will prove to be the cause of the problem.
> I have ran 63-64 Chryslers w/big blocks and have never had an
> O/heating problem but these were fresh engine cars also.
> A thermal fan clutch will aid also in MPG.
>
> Dave Schwandt

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: