RE: [Chrysler300] 'Negative' gas tank pressure

RE: [Chrysler300] 'Negative' gas tank pressure

Late response as I try to clean up old e-mail.  My 1955 C-300 has a tube
from the tank that is connected so as to vent into the filler neck near its
top.  The filler cap is vented to the atmosphere with a small hole in the
inner gasket.  I think the idea was to allow air and fumes in the tank to
vent through the tube while filling the tank.  The vent tube is connected to
the filler neck so that any gasoline that pukes back up the vent tube will
flow back into the tank instead of down the side of the fender.  The vented
cap allows air to come in and displace fuel used during engine operation and
also allows fumes to escape from the tank as the gasoline vaporizes.  The
twin carbs are also vented to the atmosphere, allowing fuel in the bowls to
boil away and be gone.  As previously reported, I have installed an electric
fuel pump back by the tank to help prime the carbs and make for quick
starts.

Later technology includes a non-vented tank and filler cap which allows the
tank fumes to flow into an activated charcoal filter and be trapped there if
the engine is not operating or be pulled into the engine when operating.
This is a fairly effective method of keeping the air cleaner and allowing we
operators to capture nearly all of the gasoline we buy.  I'm not sure how
air is allowed back into the tank during use, but I assume there is a
solenoid or check valve somewhere in the system.

CA smog test includes a pressure test of the cap and of the tank itself.
The tank is pressurized and the entire fuel plumbing system is checked for
pressure bleed down and leaks.  Emissions testing is generally done with the
engine under load on a drive-wheel dyno and costs $60 every couple years.
All raw data is transmitted online back to a great computer in Big Brother's
office.  Pre-1975 cars don't have to be smogged--another benefit of driving
vintage iron.  Efforts are afoot, however, to send all the wonderful old
iron off to the scrapper.

Rich Barber
The other Brentwood, CA White Chryslers, no Broncos