RE: [Chrysler300] Beefy Tires

I had to buy tires for our ?64K convertible and purchased a set of Hancook
Optimo H724 P215/75R15s from America?s tire for $67+ each.  Wal-mart also
carries them at $10 more.  The WSW is a little thin at ¾? with a 0.9? inner
black ring.  The attached pictures show that they look OK, but on the small
side with a ride height of about 12? floor to centerline of the wheel.  OD=
26.7?.

I was able to salvage one very nice 8.55 x 14 Goodyear Power Cushion 3-T
from the two ?64 ram K?s I have.  It appears to have an OD of about 28.5?, a
5/8? WSW and a 1.2? inner black ring.  I recall that the tire manufacturers
changed from 8.50x14 to 8.55x14 in about 1965?pretty much the same tire.
So, the radials I bought probably result in at least a 1? lower ride height
in a ?64.  The P215/75x14 is roughly equivalent to an 8.00x14 tire which was
standard on the ?64 Newports, 300 Sports and non-ram 300K?s so it is a
reasonable tire for the car.  P215/75R14 and P225/70R14 are roughly
equivalent. P235?s seem a little oversize but the wheel wells should support
them.  Hopefully, one does not run into clearance issues, although the
larger 9.00x14 tires were standard or optional on ?64 NY Salons &
Wagons?with ½? wider wheels?and the 9.00x14 is roughly equivalent to a
P235/75R14.  The Coker catalog says the P235/75R14 American Classic is OK on
a 6?to 8.5? wide rim.

The original tire for our ram 300K would have been an 8.50X14 Goodyear
Custom Super Cushion with 1?+ WSW.  The radial equivalent is a P225/75R14.

I have spent way too much time searching for the ?right size? tire with the
?right width? WSW at a ?reasonable? price.  American Classics at $146 for a
P215/75R14 and $277 for a P235/75R14 seem overpriced.  We shall see what
Diamond back comes up with next year.  Competition should be healthy for we
collectors.

Tired, but C-300-K?ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA