Re: [Chrysler300] core plugs/392

On 5/28/2015 02:46 PM, 'John Grady' jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Took out the finally finished , really nice 300C convert this AM
> (Gauguin (sp?)  red!) ,promptly lost a core plug in first two miles, of
> course the one behind the motor mount (hey it could have been one on the
> head) .

> All were new, supposedly Pro installed,  by marine Chevy engine shop in
> California before I bought the block from them (300D block) ; at bottom
> of empty hole is what looks like RTV or Silicone , probably both wrong
> (Indian head,  or Permatex, to me, belongs there ) ,but even more
> important , they were the thick flat disc type..looked dented in, but
> how can you tell if dented enough ? It did not hold.

> I have new ones I sort of hoarded 25 years ago, of brass, to replace it,
> they do work--- it seems ---if in right , so this one was NOT in right ,
> no rust issues, clean.

> So not hit hard enough? How do you tell. I know brass cup type is
> “preferred” but that means ?machining? step out of hole ,engine is in
> car , all new and painted . I am SURE someone in 300 land knows all
> about this. Now I am afraid some other one will pop out, not pretty at
> all. Removed ?incorrect?  15 psi cap for 7 psi , but overheating not
> involved,--not set in right in hole is my diagnosis . Cannot bring
> myself to put in rubber ones..

> Help help !!

Had that problem in 1975, same thing, Pro shop did the major machine
work,  First trip on a nice day to work and smog city.

Got a rubber squeeze in temp plug and got home.

Scored a replacement plug and had a go at it myself in the driveway.
Held up after that. Guess I got lucky.

Seems I recall reading sometime ago here a decent 'tell' for knowing
if one had whacked hard enough.
--
Paul Holmgren
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson, New York, September 9, 1912

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)