What a terrific idea!
Mike Moore
300H
On Feb 4, 2016, at 1:25 PM, Keith Boonstra kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jack,

You can introduce chemicals that will recombine with with various oxides that have gained a foothold within the radiator, and use other agents to clean out other gunk, but organic fibers such as wood, straw, or cotton are difficult or impossible to "dissolve" chemically. To demonstrate this, you can soak wood or straw in a VOC such as lacquer thinner, etc. for a very long time, but it will not liquefy.

My suggestion would be to oxidize the organic fibers so that they actually turn to a powder that can then be flushed out of the radiator. If you place your radiator in an accurately controlled oven (think powder-coaters, etc.) at a max of about 350F/175C for several hours, any organic fibers (and likely synthetic fibers as well) that the mice hauled in there will char into a powder and be gone. To keep the solder from liquefying be sure not to exceed 360F/180C as it starts to melt at 361F. You are oxidizing, so keep the openings open during the process so that oxygen can freely reach and facilitate the charring process.

Follow that up with a good radiator shop power flushing, and I'll bet it performs like new.

Keith Boonstra