From: rinandal [mailto:rinandvan@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:30 PM
To: John Grady
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] power window help

Hi John,
Great last suggestion. Tested the motor at battery with gear box on.
Grounded it then applied 12 V to male connector then female connector and
the motor turned the gear box as it was suppose to. I have had these motors
for quite some time, may have come when I purchased the car 20 years ago?  I
found no short in the in car lines from switch to motor.  Also go 12v from
switch to connectors in the car( no load of course).  A side note; I
observed that I can torque the gear box on to the motor and greatly increase
the resistance to turning.

Thanks for the great suggestions and help.
Van

On Jul 28, 2016, at 10:01 AM, John Grady wrote:

> Hi Van,
>
> First, Separate the motor as installed in car from switches and wiring
> by grounding the motor frame, if not already in door.. in door,  ground is
ok.
> That grounds it. Put live # 12   wire 12V lead from car battery into one
> connector, then the other , it should go up then down. If it does =
> you have wiring, poor connector ,  or switch problem, (if not a single
> side defective field winding inside motor ). But I REALLY doubt
> that..more likely connectors not tight? Brushes and armature are used
> by exact same connections inside in both directions so that is ok and
> usually = the bad parts. ( brush sticks in holder ..do not oil that,
> just free it  ) Where did you get the motor? "Appear identical" may
> not be right, re: case/appearance of motor. ? But they probably ARE
> right,  if PW motors from that era Chysler products . From junk car or
> something? There is also a thermal switch that is supposed to open if
> say a kid holds down the switch , against a stall, to keep motor from
> burning up .It snaps open, resets after a minute . I mention that
> (mounted near brush) , it looks like ignition points, as they get
> rusty if water gets in which happens in front doors, then is
> intermittent in contact. BE SURE water thrower or ring is in place on
> shaft at top of motor ..I glue those on w weatherstrip cement , to
> seal them to shaft , they are critical to keep rain out of motor. Water
runs along shaft into front bearing and motor. That totals the motor ---and
quickly.

> Can check field winding with low ohm meter(hate digital meters,
> reading jumps around) analog ohmmeter, low ohms scale , read each lead
> to motor case. Should be about the same within 10% _If one reads very
> high that side field coil is open, motor is defective or needs repairs
> . Or broken wire internally to plastic insulation covering,  where it
> leaves motor (from
> wiggling) .
>
> This should find it!
>
> You have old seized motor? If you do not need it , or going to toss,
> can mail to me. I strip for parts. Or you can.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)