RE: [Chrysler300] What to do.

Oops.  Should have been addressed to Gary.

Rich

From: Rich Barber [mailto:c300@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:29 PM
To: 'Randy Guyer' <randyguyer@xxxxxxxxxx>; 'John Grady' <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Gary Barker' <gbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Chrysler300Club intl.' <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] What to do.

Randy:

In the 1964 Chrysler Facts Book (salesman’s little ring binder) they list three (assumedly) factory options-all available on the 300K:

462:  License Plate Frame-Rear          $3.40

463:  Door Edge Protectors (2-Dr.)     $4.80 (4-Dr. was $6.85 for other models)

464:  Both                                            $8.20 (4-Dr. was $10.25 for other models)

I understand some of the factory options like these were not actually installed but were packed in the trunk—presumably to avoid loss or damage during transportation.  Items such as wheel covers, antenna & rear-view mirror.

Our K has neither option but there is a column (#46) for one of these three options on the IBM card so it would seem the IBM card for other years should tell the tale of what came from the factory.  Consulting Cuzzin’ Gil’s “FACTORY BUILD CODE INTERPRETATION” is your best bet for determining what was on the car when it came from the factory.   I understand and applaud the ground rules for judging that will not allow deduction of any concours judging points for “Period-Correct” seat belts.

I note that the wiring diagram for 1964 Chryslers (http://www.jholst.net/64-service-manual/electrical.pdf page 98) includes a feed from the fuse panel for a spotlight.  Its source is a direct, un-switched and un-fused point with its feed directly from the alternator so, like the headlights, the spotlight can be operated with the ignition switch off.  If the car is not running, the power will flow from the battery, through the Ammeter to the spotlight.  If you do decide to keep the spotlight, be sure there is an inline fuse in its feed wire from the fuse panel.   Personal opinion:  The presence of the spotlight tends to confirm and enhance the provenance of the car as a former Nevada Highway patrol officer’s car.  I’d leave it on the car, provided it is period-correct.  Especially if it has a Chrysler part number on it.  It is entirely possible that the spotlight was a special-order item in 1964, at least, as Chrysler offered police cars in the Newport Line that year.  If so, the spotlight should be documented on the IBM CAR RECORD CARD.  I might think differently about a light bar, riot-gun rack and a stack of Motorola’s.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA