RE: [Chrysler300] Nice C-300 writeup

Buried in the text of the ad is this:

Features On This Most Stunning Automobile: The design was simple but strong without much chrome on the sides, creating the illusion of fast forward movement. It was named the 300 because in 1955, when it was introduced, it came equipped with Carter 4 barrel carburetors, a solid lifter camshaft, and a larger exhaust that produced 300 horsepower, the first modern American production engine to accomplish that.

 Copy Of Chrysler Build Card

The presence of the build card suggests the car may be in our registry, thanks to Gil’s microfiche.

Noted errors, IMHO:  Not original Motor Wheel wires—too many spokes, Standard spare tire wheel suggests original wheels were standard stamped-steel, wrong exhaust tips, originals did not have outside rear view mirrors from the factory (not even typical 1955 dealer add-on type or location), no Delta Wing air cleaner, corrugated upper radiator hose with wrong clamps, complete 12V system & wiring, gold-tone block and intake manifold & water pump, black hood springs, non-power brakes (could not see the booster and could be original), electric choke, radial tires (but nice, wide WSW’s) wiper blades, wrong headliner material & color—but nicely done, rear speaker looks newish and hang-down wiring is just careless, painted over trunk lid liner, red heater hose & wrong clamps.  May be more (or less).  Still, a gorgeous car as are all C-300’s—readily returnable to more OEM. Nice restoration, but might have had a near-concours car for about the same money if done knowledgably.

Total of 44 pix @:  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chrysler/300c/1921855.html   VIN tag is visible but lacks sufficient definition.

Things to look for, Noel, if you get a chance.

I believe “Bullseye” headlamps were standard on all 6V MoPars through 1955.  They are still available in used condition and the lens can be used to cover a new modern reflector and bulb.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/27980-bullseye-halogen-conversion/

Rich,

Two articles I know about was in WPC News V36, No.4, Dec 2004.  Written

by Wm. Vroman fron the Northern illinois Region of the WPC Club.

The other was in "Brute Force"  Oct-Dec Issue 2004  Vol. 34 #4.   That

one uses a Bosch unit for the conversion but also mentions a company,

Restoration Supply Co. in Reno, NV that has a 6 volt kit.  #ELE207 at

$119.95 + S/H, to do the conversion.

I could fax you the articles if neded.

John R. Cote

CT.