Re: [Chrysler300] WCFB

John and all:

Back in 1985/86, I restored a 1956 Dodge, w/315 cu.in. polysphere engine.  In 1956, I purchased a new 1956 Dodge Coronet D-500 (Hemi).  It could beat anything running in western PA.  So, I wondered what would happen if I put a larger carb on the latest one (polysphere engine) I was restoring.  Happens I was restoring my newly acquired 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible at the time.  I had purchased a new 650 cfm AFB and decided to use it temporarily on the Dodge.  Well, well, what wonders I had uncovered.  As an example, going up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, I got into a pissing match with a new T-Bird near the 10,000 ft. elevation.  I was passing the Bird when he started to gun it and pull away from me.  Well, I would have none of that and kicked my Dodge into passing gear and passed him with ease.  Never saw the Bird after that.  Bottom line is that the 650 cfm carb did wonders for that 315 engine.  It simply released the unused power in that engine.  Too bad that Dodge did not put a larger carb on the Dodge in the first place.  Maybe would have beaten the 300B's on the beach Flying Mile in 1956!  After all, in September of 1955, the 1956 Dodge set over 100 new land speed records on the sands of Bonneville that year.  AND, that was with the 450 cfm carb on a polysphere engine!!  As for mounting the 650 cfm carb to the manifold for the 450 cfm carb, I honed out a 1/2" plate of aluminum so I could install a vacuum port at the front and a port at the rear for a PCV hose from the PCV valve I had mounted on the right side valve cover.

I now have a multi function computer in the Dodge which includes cruise control, mpg, and a whole host of other goodie info.  It bypasses the speedometer cable and takes the speed from the rpm's of the drive shaft and is accurate to about 1%. When I change tire sizes, I can recalibrate it.  The kit came with magnets to install on the driveshaft and a pick-up for this function.  I got this from J. C. Whitney back in 1985 for about $112..

Dan Reitz
Bell Canyon, CA