Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Chrysler Windsor W/354 Poly Engine

Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Chrysler Windsor W/354 Poly Engine

On 1/6/2018 3:32 PM, Keith Boonstra kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
wrote:

> My money is going to go on silver for the whole 354 engine including
> valve covers - as in the same silver we have on the hemi-head  392
> (except for its gold valve covers). Here is a link to a '58 Windsor that
> looks like it may be fairly original under the hood:

> http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/chrysler/chrysler-00037.html

> It could even be that since Chrysler put this engine in the lower priced
> cars as a money saving gesture, they may have shot the whole engine in
> silver after it was fully assembled - even with the valve covers already
> installed. I have seen some photos of the Poly/Spitfire engine where the
> the "Spitfire" name is in red on the valve covers, but I think that may
> be an incorrect owner enhancement.

> For a far more durable (yet color-correct) paint job on your engine that
> will stay looking new for many years and miles, use the base/clear
> silver two-stage coatings as on the mid-eighties BMW body paint. Just
> knock down the gloss on the final clear to maybe a 20 sheen or so with a
> bit of flatting agent, to duplicate Chrysler's low gloss look of their
> single-stage silver paint job on the engine.

> Keith Boonstra
> -

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 2:03 PM, LARRY CASEY lccasey@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lccasey@xxxxxxxxxxx> [Chrysler300]

>     Hi guys,
>
>     My name is Larry Casey and I'm a new member with the 300 club.  I'm
>     from the warm state of Minnesota and a proud owner of a 1958
>     Chrysler 300D.  The one thing of gathered from this site is there is
>     a great deal of knowledgeable individuals out there concerning these
>     wonderful cars. But today, I have a question, not about my 300D, but
>     my 1957 Chrysler Windsor with a 354 poly engine. I'm having the
>     engine rebuilt, which is almost completed and would like to get the
>     engine painted in the next few days.  I have gone over the internet
>     but have not been able to determine what color this engine was when
>     it came off the line.  Anyone have any info.

>     Very happy to be member of this club!!!

OLD recollection dredged up from deep within an aging brain,
Wasn't that called 'Anniversary Silver' in some literature??

--
Paul Holmgren
"It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humor and wit

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)