[Chrysler300] Re: 300D gas tank question

[Chrysler300] Re: 300D gas tank question

Thank you everyone who took the time to help me out.

The sender seems to work fine (I ohmed it, as well as tested it out of the tank, hooked up to the gauge, and all positions on the sender correlated with the gauge, so I guess that part is OK. Looks like somebody changed the cork and put a brass float on the unit.

It had a rubber (I think, it was in such a bad shape that it totally disintegrated) gasket between the float/pickup tube flange and the ring that locks it in place. Is rubber the correct material to use, or should I go with cork gasket? And, I think that the gasket should be between the tank and the float flange, right? Not the way they had it….

I will go look at the tank and see if the o ring seal for the filler neck is there and what kind of shape it is in. Probably will replace  that, no matter what condition it is.

I have a lot of 30s (and other) cars, so I know about the ground importance for the sending unit. I guess it applies to any car, but I always solder a short jumper between the sender and hook that up to a clean ground screw on the frame.

One last question: my tank has a drain plug in it. Is that an add on, or was that factory? It was oozing a bit, and again, looks like it had some kind of rubber gasket, but it definitely needs a new one. If I can’t find  gasahol compatible one, can I use cork?

Again, appreciate your input,

Tom

Posted by: Tom Chvapil <tomchvapil@xxxxxxxxx>