Re: [Chrysler300] TorqueFlite A466 questions

That’s because there was no such bulletin. I have taken apart a number of original 300 transmissions, and none ever had a 5 disc clutch. If you leave parts out of the drum, you will get a harsh engagement, and the lower plate will be so far down, it will not be splined to the hub, so you would get no advantage anyway. I have pretty much all of the factory service bulletins, and have never seen any reference to this.
Don

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:14 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] TorqueFlite A466 questions

Long ago I had a conversation with George Rihel. He said Chrysler had a bulletin that 300 cast iron TF should have front clutch converted to 5 discs. You need to remove the cushion spring and top plate and install standard plate, (no tabs) and add the fifth disc. I have not seen that bulletin.

Gary

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] TorqueFlite A488 questions

Hi Dieter,
The trans is identified as a 466, not 488.
There is no such thing as a 5 disc clutch in a 300 torqueflite. The only time they had a 5 disc was 56, and that one had no torque multiplication in the apply levers. It was changed in 57 to the 4 disc.
The 300 F trans has a higher line pressure than standard units, a low tension spring in the rear clutch, a higher ratio kick down lever, and a high speed governor package. The line pressure is about 10 pounds more than a standard unit. You should be fine as long as the shift cable and kick down linkage are adjusted right.
Don

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:44 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] TorqueFlite A488 questions

Hi all 300es
The engine of my 300F is at the restorers shop to get new parts (I assume you know that the engine was frozen due to the piston in cylinder #1).

My transmission (A488) is restored and has 4 front clutch disk and 5 rear clutch disks like most of the A488 back in the late 50ies and early 69ies.

Because it's not an original 300F transmission, but a Plymouth a friend of mine fears I would burn the front clutch with the 300F engine (I should not drive with WOT). He addresses an A488 version with 5 front clutch disks for Letter cars.
Do you know more about that version, because there is absolutely no hint in the 1960 FSM?
I'll appreciate your answer very much. Thank you.

Dieter

Posted by: <dverity@xxxxxxxxxxx>