RE: [Chrysler300] 64 300 convertible help

RE: [Chrysler300] 64 300 convertible help

Steven:

It would appear the rotary top switch may be the problem.  It receives +12V directly from the battery (through a circuit breaker behind the LH kick panel) and feeds that +12V through one of the two wires (brown & yellow) to the pump motor.  So the power to the switch is always “hot”—With or without the ignition key.  The motor can’t run without “juice” from the switch—and the switch is designed with three positions—up, off & down.  There is a centering mechanism to return the twist knob to the center/off when released.  I just went and fiddled with the top switch on my ’64 300K convertible and it did seem a little sticky when trying to return to the center/off position so our switches may have old dried lube inside them.  I’ve got to believe there is an internal finger attached to the knob and shaft, so unless it is broken off internally, you should be able to manually position the switch  for any  desired operation.

I suggest you reconnect the connector at the pump, fiddle with the switch to see if you can get the pump to go off and/or reverse.  Some switches can be disassembled for cleaning.  Jeff Carter may have rebuilt switches or be able to service yours:  jcauto@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jcauto@xxxxxxxxxx>     Yours may have a broken spring inside that prevents it from centering.    The switch is listed in the parts manual on Page 23-312:  http://www.jholst.net/64-parts-manual/body.pdf   Part # 1972316—probably good for MoPar years and possibly available from a parts store.     The switch is the same in 1964 for Valiant through Imperial and is called a double-throw rotary switch.  A wiring schema and brief instructions for testing the switch may be found in the service manual:  http://www.jholst.net/64-service-manual/body.pdf

Or, Google:  1972316 switch  I did and saw a number of vendors advertising NOS switches.  Apparently the same switch is used to run station wagon rear windows up and down.

Best wishes for being topped or topless, as climate dictates.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA (Having a convertible day—pushing 80F)