Re: {Chrysler 300} ENews 53 is - long distance cruising -

Re: {Chrysler 300} ENews 53 is - long distance cruising -

Hello Mark and Club Members,

Having driven to 17 of our Club's 21 past meets in my F, and most of those trips running with John Begian in his G convertible, I'm often ready for another cross country adventure. Add in many shorter trips to events throughout the Midwest, and I've logged 64,000+ miles on my F since the Fall '09 Branson Meet, still running dual points and drum brakes. The longest of these trips was 1.400 miles to Alamogordo, NM for me from here in Chicago, and 1,600 miles for John from suburban Detroit on this trip, during which we ran through monsoon rains on 7 of the 9 days, with a hurricane sitting of the California coast. Westbound, we pulled into a gas station in Clovis, NM, our tires literally sitting in 3" of standing water.

Over all this cruising, I've experienced 3 issues -
  1. Heading south on I-57 toward Effingham, IL, where I was scheduled to meet up with John, and also have lunch with our friend Spanky Cox, my generator died, as my ammeter needle pegged hard left. I phoned Spanky about 50 miles out, and drove to his place. None of his rebuilt generators fit my F, so we took it to a shop he knew and, two hours later, we installed it, and bought a spare regulator for good measure.
  2. Heading north on I-65 from our Chattanooga Meet, sitting in heavy construction in 90+ degree heat south of Indy, my F started missing. I pulled a U-turn and exited onto a country road where the F died. A few minutes later, a Good Samaritan pulled over in his pickup truck, and we tried a handful of diagnostics, with the help of a couple Club members by phone. Bottom line, it was the small wire in the distributor that had separated. p.s. I had the same issue happen as we pulled into the Legendary Interiors parking lot at our Geneva, NY Meet, where a team of Club members fixed this, once and for all.
  3. I had a couple issues with one of my dual points shifting to almost shut a few times, so have pulled out my feeler gauge to readjust them. I've since changed the small mounting screw and washer, and this issue also appears resolved.
My list of travel accessories includes the following -
I haven't driven my F at 7,000' elevation, as you mention, but don't expect that's high enough to cause any concern. My daughter attended NAU in Flagstaff, AZ - 7,000' elevation - and I traveled there often. I wouldn't have hesitated driving my F up there.

Best wishes for great cruising!

Noel Hastalis
Burr Ridge, IL