Re: {Chrysler 300} ENews 53 is - long distance cruising -

Re: {Chrysler 300} ENews 53 is - long distance cruising -

love the old style dwell meter .. absolutely critical to getting dual points just right , — check it is ok in 10 seconds not even opening cap. — and one should get get a reproduction of that point jumper wire = I think used in later hemi too .
Otherwise = The 300 Syndrome:
The stock   cambric insulation falls off , it can short , so fairly ignorant mechanic will then tape it ,ball of  tape there jams advance and rubs on metal housing every time you touch gas wiggling the wire a bit  breaking the strands  .It has to flex freely .  Have seen this 5-6 times.
You simply cannot set dual points by eye . It is not the actual gap setting part! —  it is getting the point cam perfect on high place with starter twice in different places  — even feeler is dicey as they move a bit when you tighten the screws. =of no   consequence with single points —
but disaster on dual -can overlap with one almost closed if not perfect , causing erratic , intermittent rpm dependent misfire etc . It will run fine with one set by the way in a jam , the set that opens second .
Dwell meter tells all.
I routinely change the “wire hold screws “ to slightly longer hex heads , easy to tighten / assemble then, too much junk under the too short tiny factory screw you easily lose them. On a dark night by side of road , falls down into bottom of distributor .     At the back of hemi . You lose . Workmanship there assembling the stuff correctly  really matters . Done right the wire clip sits square , good for 20k + miles . Send to Don V!  Save huge hassles .
 I would add keep a correct capacitor or get rid of “  my new one” with the black wire in a rubber cone   , they are chinese junk .( long story)  Find the real mopar capacitor with copper strap. learn how to test your cap,  ( high ohms on analog multimeter) but the original type with strap almost never fail . Keep them .    It was typically exchanged    for new junk for no real reason . Cap failure = hard start , poor running , intermittent weak spark .
I would add a roll of mechanics wire ( hold up stuff, like exhaust etc ) and add a cheap non digital small multimeter to your travel pile from lowe’s etc .(  Southwire one is good) . interpreting flickering digital readings in an analog  car a joke.  ( electrical troubles)
check tank grounding on fuel gauge , interior of tank not rusted . Check corrosion in bulb sockets (clean and  silicone grease)

 it is very critical - particularly on rams ( but all cars) that both exhaust heat  valves are free and “ rattling” or else exhaust heat can become stuck “on “ from rust while sitting . It won't run right — too hot at carbs, and if you go fast can actually melt the plenum ram floor under the carb . Happened to me way back. I throw the inner heat valve plate away now, just as chrysler did on J and K . Not driving it in below zero weather .  To each his own.
Be sure generator brushes are free to slide ( never oil!) ,that  is what goes wrong on charging , not the whole generator or regulator , Do not short or ground wires while testing you can blow regulator , not same wiring as ford or gm  .    Never push down on regulator contacts. It will lock in can burn out stopped generator . leave cover on the regulator! = Keep
out. Never needs “ adjustment” . All that results is harm .
The only wearing  part  of concern in generator are brushes if bearings are ok ( obvious) and the brushes  WILL stick if parked a long time   , sometimes just over winter  = funky charging action initially that then stops . Can free with hammer tap at rear or reach in through back with small screwdriver . wiggle them .
be sure to have a couple of thousand miles on new brakes as pedal falls a lot as total contact shoes wear in , first 500 -1000 needs adjusting a few times or you can get a low dangerous pedal far away.
Valve stems for our rims getting rare , hole is different size, length too —  they crack and leak  , carrying a few and tire valve tool might make you look very smart one day.     Local tire barn had to order them!
If radiator or core / hose leaks just leave cap loose , made it to Boston from Minnesota like that , and again maritime canada to Boston . No pressure = no loss
That covers stuff that happened to me      !

Long post — sorry, but have to add , bought a G in Reno in 70’s , saw in a used car lot totally rust free(!)in  back row! I paid the “  local Reno good guy “ to do brakes  and plugs/ points “ Set off to Boston . Old Route 50,—-  lesson: damn —it still snows like crazy in Delta , Utah  ! in late march !  wiper breaker kept opening , so much snow.
So ran ok not great but only  8 -9 mpg. progressively ran a little worse every day , i am thinking Oh no —  it will need rebuild . Finally — barely running in Ct. 2000 miles later .
Just crossed over Hudson . Pull into rest area. Stalls . No start . Get into distributor one set of new points are barely opening at overlap   ( tune up?) , so re set with matchbook paper .
ZOOM — it goes like hell - now 14 mpg. after 2000 miles (of course ) with fingers crossed eating 200 gallons of gas.
SO — Ignore dwell meter need — at your very own peril! Set wrong by “expert “ mechanic.
It got me ... much humbled , I did not pick it up . Subtle stuff ..
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice