Re: {Chrysler 300} Setting timing with transmission engaged?

Re: {Chrysler 300} Setting timing with transmission engaged?

Putting an engine under load when making adjustments always made sense to me and usually provided the best results, as Dan describes. I use all the tools I have available and set my timing with a light to get it in the ballpark. Timing, Vacuum, dwell, idle speed..repeat. Then final tweaking in gear under load.....this doesn’t hurt the transmission any more than climbing a hill or towing....or letting some smoke out of the tires.

With my boat I had the luxury of making adjustments to my marine engine while running under load at any speed I chose. I would adjust the timing by turning the Mallory dual point until the engine was smooth and crisp, I could hear and feel the sweet spot. Then I’d set the idle, confirm dwell and vacuum, and enjoy. This ALWAYS worked better than setting it up on the trailer and I noted it never ran very well at all when within recommended specs.

Ryan Hill