Re: {Chrysler 300} Hood release cable 1960

Re: {Chrysler 300} Hood release cable 1960

hi Kevin ,
I hear the car looks great  !
 There are several versions of the pull cable , mainly different around the way it is kept from twisting in its dash slider or bushing , which keeps the pull knob horizontal . —
why it matters is some are brass and some steel , but following idea works on both . You may have to shorten the rod behind the T about 1/2 “ to do the following but still enough is left to pull it . Inner wire can break at T crimp or at clamp screw under hood , same issue .
so you cut off tee where cable was crimped or possibly undo crimp and get remains of old wire out .
Then get an aftermarket choke cable , the 5- 6(?)  foot one is not  long enough they sell s seven or 8 . Take apart , to get the pull wire . It is larger od than mopar ( good) but surprisingly fits in mopar sheath . ( in my experience — luck?)
Then you find a drill bit just very slightly larger than od of that wire . You drill into end of tee rod about 3/8 with careful center punch , drill vise etc to get it perfect in the middle . Then shine wire spotless , razor knife scraping , solder wire into hole with plumbing solder and flux . Solder may get on outside of grooved design tee rod you have to file that groove back in or it will stick reassemble .
You can also splice pull wire by soldering with an electrical splice barrel for about 18-20 gauge wire if you just do the under the hood end and have enough rope , but it sooner or later breaks at tee crimp . soldering just the barrel part of an electrical eye with about a 4/40 washer slipped on pull wire first is much better under hood , as that brass thing with screw puts a stress riser into  wire right where screw pinches it . Solder does not do that , it will never break again . Wire has to be shiny spotless for solder to “take “
This fixed it for good for me . Common problem ….
John G

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 17, 2023, at 4:44 PM, Kevin Westbrook <kevinbrwestbrook@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> My 300F hood release cable broke at the end, as has happened before, however, it is now way too short.  I have rerouted it as much as possible. Has anyone had success in finding a suitable way to repair or replace the cable?
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylang
> ---